“Find Replace” functionality in VW?

scottmoore

Question

I produce various awards shows and festivals and as such have a specific template to utilize for artist stage plots. In this template there are the following items associated with each artist and I will use the name “Artist 1” to help clarify:

classes:

Artist 1

spike Artist 1

saved views:

print-Artist 1

working-Artist 1

sheet layers:

Artist 1

symbols:

drums Artist 1

keys Artist 1

It would be fantastic to have a “Search and Replace” function that allowed me to search “Artist 1” and replace that with “XYZ Band”. If this exists, I am unaware of it. 

Thanks

• Like 2

7 answers to this question

On 10/2/2018 at 3:06 PM, scottmoore said:

It would be fantastic to have a “Search and Replace” function that allowed me to search “Artist 1” and replace that with “XYZ Band”. If this exists, I am unaware of it. 

I ask for that since VW 2014.

Such an Option was always included in the german localized Version of VW.

I tried the “find replace text” command and unfortunately  it did nothing that was useful in this scenario.  

It occurs to me if we did have that kind of a powerful find/replace feature, it would allow one to solve the currently arduous task of renaming parent-child relationships in classes pretty simply. That is something many have been asking about for quite some time. 

• Like 2

Here is a Vectorscript called FindRenameClasses that I use. I think I found it in the Vectorscript forum a while ago, but I'm not sure. Attribution in the comments on the first line.

PROCEDURE FindRenameClasses; { Modded by Andrew Chau based on Renameclasses by ? Petri Sakkinen 1997 - 2009 } 

VAR
className, newName, cs1, cs2 {cs1 is the trigger or to be replaced, cs2 is the replacement} : STRING;
i, j, n : INTEGER;

BEGIN
cs1:=StrDialog(Concat('Find text string in class name to rename...',Chr(13),Chr(13),'Find:'), 'S_');
IF NOT DidCancel THEN cs2:=StrDialog(Concat('Rename text string in class name...',Chr(13),Chr(13),'Replace:'),'X_S-');
j := LEN(cs1);  
FOR i := 3 TO CLASSNUM DO BEGIN
	className := CLASSLIST(i);
	n := POS(cs1, className);
	IF (n=1) THEN BEGIN 
		newName := className; 
		DELETE(newName, 1, j);  
		RENAMECLASS(className, CONCAT(cs2, newName)); 
	END; 
END;
END;

RUN(FindRenameClasses);

I have it saved as a custom plugin, and added it as a menu item to my workspace. This doesn't help with your symbol names, saved views, etc. but it may still be useful.

Also - you could probably do what you are looking for with a Marionette network.

-Dan