What VW can do about it ?

We just manage to secure a job. A really big job. I'm talking a size like Manhattan NY.

Try looking it from a bigger picture. I'm not talking about how to joint 2 lines here.

Since we are the lead architect here...we have to decide which direction we have to go. Vw or Autocad?? Even, we have to set a NEW Local Authority here with new drawing standard.

I don't know how to describe the problem that I facing know.

How about those standard :-

? Files format... VW or Autocad

If both .. how good it can talk each others.

? Master plan - How accurate Vw compare to Autocad.

? Electronic Submission - How ? Council to read / view / generate data ? etc.......

? To digitize the whole town ??

Just give me any Idea...and may be I need help from NNA directly.

Help me guys... This may be a big move for VW.

We got years the plan about it. Properly.

G-Pang

I think I know what you are talking about... (We are architects, urban designers and planners and our projects always seem push VW beyond its limits.)

I probably even have the VW add-ons needed - well, not all, but quite a few, perhaps 75%. They combine GIS-techniques with parametric objects and I would not hesitate taking on such a job, technologically speaking, that is. I might use additional software, but not other CAD, rather a full GIS (eg. MapInfo) and a database (eg. FileMaker Pro). The latter can drive VW to a degree via AppleScripts.

Accuracy is no longer a problem: we are at present working on a project 1 km wide and 20 km long and there is no loss of accuracy.

You will need several 'representations' of the data, several geographic areas and so on, but all this is doable in VW. My parametric buildings can be configured to show themselves in different levels of detail, from boxes to semi-detailed, and gross floor areas (& volumes), plot ratios etc. are calculated and I can export data not only to CAD but also to GIS.

Quite honestly, I don't think AutoCAD would be any better - probably worse. The alternatives to VW might be ArchiCAD, MicroStation, ArcView (with 3D Analyser, possibly also Network Analyser and Axwoman - a space syntax tool for ArcView) and maybe Enviro.

Hi G-Pang.

I did a leap of faith to VW from AutoCad. I wanted a secure platform of OSX, and I require rendering and visualization.

I was quite scared to make the switch because of AutoCad being the 'industry standard' ... my thinking was that they must be the industry standard for a reason. However, history has taught us that the most popular item may not be the best. I am glad I switched because I am thrilled with the VW functionality.

Now ... after saying that, VW has a lot of work to do with Apple to make the software work in synergy with the Mac operating system. This is primarily in 3D. I am hoping and trusting that this will be resolved over the next few months, and things will only get better.

I am not trained in AutoCad or any Cad for that matter, and I have found that I have picked up VW quite quickly. When I jump back to AutoCad for some of my old archived projects, I find that AC is cumbersome, illogical, and unintuitive. Kind of like package that has been modified over 20 years when really it should be scrapped and re-written.

Hope this helps.