Component 2d Symbol Geometry

Query about the new Component Symbol Geometry, I am not seeing a way to take advantage of the layers of detail if working on the Design Layers.  I see it functioning on the Sheet Layers, and it's a great feature, I'm just curious if there's a way to leverage the tool when rendering directly from the Design Layer space.  Not that I render from there much except for OpenGL on occasion.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
15 hours ago, Aristobulous said:

Query about the new Component Symbol Geometry, I am not seeing a way to take advantage of the layers of detail if working on the Design Layers.  I see it functioning on the Sheet Layers, and it's a great feature, I'm just curious if there's a way to leverage the tool when rendering directly from the Design Layer space.  Not that I render from there much except for OpenGL on occasion.

Check out this Document Preference:

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 8.49.54 AM.png

When Auto display detail levels for design layers is unchecked, objects will display in Medium detail. Otherwise, the detail level display will be based on each object's design layer scale.

I saw that, but the tooltip at the bottom of the window indicated that the function was only available to Architect keys, and would not function with my Spotlight only key, so I left it alone.  It does seem to function, but as intended only when I re-scale the entire drawing layer space does it take affect.  So there is not a way to select which detail level to use like in a viewport then?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
10 hours ago, Aristobulous said:

I saw that, but the tooltip at the bottom of the window indicated that the function was only available to Architect keys, and would not function with my Spotlight only key, so I left it alone.

You're referring to this help text?:

"Automatically shows or hides details such as wall components and stair details from being drawn on design layers within the specified scale factors."

While it does give examples of architectural objects, it does not state that an Architect license is required. However, it probably should be made more generalized.

10 hours ago, Aristobulous said:

It does seem to function, but as intended only when I re-scale the entire drawing layer space does it take affect.  So there is not a way to select which detail level to use like in a viewport then?

You're correct. It was done this way to support previous VW version files coming forward. We will be looking at better control of this for a future version.

I am referring to this:

When I place the cursor over the fields to input a scale value I get the tooltip note noted at the bottom.  It does seem to function, but if I set the values, close the window, and open the window again, the values are "locked in" and greyed out, and I can only adjust them after turning off the auto display and turning it back on.

Screenshot (7)_LI.jpg