LAPTOP

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Both the laptops in my signature serve me quite well.

However, in general, I advise seeking out a laptop designed for gaming rather than something titled as being a "workstation" as the gaming graphics cards offer much more bang for the buck than the laptops marketed as being specifically for CAD.

This may help as well:

I would not do a surface product, just my opinion.

I am a windows user.  I personally find in my workflow CPU Performance has the biggest impact on overall performance.  I have a surface, more as just a thing to do some light work on when I travel.  I would not even consider running VW on it, but that is because I know what the files I work in demand and I know it would just be unusable. 

I have a desktop I work on in the office and a laptop on the road.  I travel a lot so something that can keep up relatively with the desktop is key.  I do not own these, but these would be my recomendation

Something with an intel 6 core processor, this is fairly newish in laptops and something with a decent GPU (1050 or up or even a quadro, but you pay more for a quadro and don't get the bang for your buck) and something that you can load up with ram and possibly adjust later.

The gigabyte Aero 15X with the i7-8750H would be good. 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AERO-15X--i7-8750H#kf

The MSI GS65 series, the stealth thin is cool, but I imagine it gets very hot

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GS65-Stealth-Thin-Intel-8th-Gen.html

The Asus ROG stuff like the zephyrus or so 

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-M-GM501/

Personally, I like dell products.  I have a dell precision laptop.  The 5000 series is nice and the 7000 series is nice just a little chunky.

Good luck

Matt

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Does anyone have a recommendation for  mid-range laptop to run VW 2019? Many people suggest gaming laptops but they are so ugly.  MSI Creator might be tolerable but seems pricey.  Has anyone tried out the Dell G7 17 Gaming Laptop? I use a lot of MS programs including MS Access so likely to stick to PCs. Also like having a large screen and number pad.

I currently have an XI PowerGo laptop that is about 6 years old with a nvidia 650 graphics card, 8GB RAM, 750GB 7200 RPM SATAII-300MB/s and Intel® Core™ i7 3740QM 2.7/3.7GHz-1C Turbo Boost- 6MB Cache Quad-Core/8 Threads 3rd Gen. 22nm. Running Windows 10 Pro (Also not a very attractive system in my opinion.)

Thanks in advance for any input.