Jeff Bonny

System Scaffold as Custom Truss in Braceworks?

Has anyone tried getting structural analysis of system scaff by asking Braceworks to see it as custom truss? I've built a library of system scaffold component symbols based on the Etobicoke Ironworks TSS catalog and next week when I've got the new iMac and undone the Mojave install I'll be trying to make scaff work accurately as truss. I would welcome any thoughts on the subject.

Sounds like an excellent idea. I know custom truss can be created by defining a section. Not sure about scaffolding.

At this time, Braceworks can not calculate a ground based system.  so, scaffolding will not really work in Braceworks.  we just released a library of Layher scaffolding Allround and will be talking with the engineers about the possibility of making it connect in Braceworks.  Not sure if that will happen or not.

1 hour ago, Rob Books said:

At this time, Braceworks can not calculate a ground based system.  so, scaffolding will not really work in Braceworks.  we just released a library of Layher scaffolding Allround and will be talking with the engineers about the possibility of making it connect in Braceworks.  Not sure if that will happen or not.

To do rough work with ground supported systems, I simply add hoists above where the rig hits the floor. It gives me downward force loads at said locations. etc...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rob Books said:

Given the large amount of scaffold that gets used in the entertainment industry it would be very useful to be able to make these calculations with Braceworks.

I just opened the Layer scaffolding file. I'm having software/hardware issues and can't do much but this library looks like it will be of limited use. Maybe there are additional files I did not download but Scaffolding Layher Allround Event.vwx is not a complete set of common system scaffold symbols and there are no loci to make snapping the components together easy. You won't be able to build very much or build it very quickly.

Here are three PDF's of the scaff symbol library I've built so far. I intend to add more components as time permits or circumstance demands. The hidden line rendering does not show the snap points. If I can find the time and my computer doesn't freeze I'll do a wireframe version that shows how I've used 3d loci to make assembling structures simple and logical. I also have stair treads and stair stringers built but haven't exported a PDF. I've also got screw jacks, wheels and some other misc parts.

SYSTEM SCAFFOLD SYMBOLS_BAY BRACES & STANDARDS_JB_REV 3_180213.pdf

SYSTEM SCAFFOLD SYMBOLS_LEDGERS_JB_REV 3_180213.pdf

SYSTEM SCAFFOLD SYMBOLS_WOOD DECKS 19" & 24"_JB_REV 3_180213.pdf

Edited by Jeff Bonny

there is a loci at each level of the post, and each of the components have loci that will connect to the center point.  we did a ringlock library years ago with loci at every possible connection point, and there were too many points to really see what you were snapping to.  the thought was that this would be the easier way to do it.  

This is all the library that Layher has authorized at this time, as they give us more lines and parts, we will expand the library.  Unlike a user, we have to at least try to get permissions from the manufacturer.