System Scaffold as Custom Truss in Braceworks?

Jeff Bonny

Has anyone tried getting structural analysis of system scaff by asking Braceworks to see it as custom truss? I've built a library of system scaffold component symbols based on the Etobicoke Ironworks TSS catalog and next week when I've got the new iMac and undone the Mojave install I'll be trying to make scaff work accurately as truss. I would welcome any thoughts on the subject.

1 hour ago, Rob Books said:

At this time, Braceworks can not calculate a ground based system.  so, scaffolding will not really work in Braceworks.  we just released a library of Layher scaffolding Allround and will be talking with the engineers about the possibility of making it connect in Braceworks.  Not sure if that will happen or not.

To do rough work with ground supported systems, I simply add hoists above where the rig hits the floor. It gives me downward force loads at said locations. etc...

2 hours ago, Rob Books said:

At this time, Braceworks can not calculate a ground based system.  so, scaffolding will not really work in Braceworks.  we just released a library of Layher scaffolding Allround and will be talking with the engineers about the possibility of making it connect in Braceworks.  Not sure if that will happen or not.

Given the large amount of scaffold that gets used in the entertainment industry it would be very useful to be able to make these calculations with Braceworks.

I just opened the Layer scaffolding file. I'm having software/hardware issues and can't do much but this library looks like it will be of limited use. Maybe there are additional files I did not download but Scaffolding Layher Allround Event.vwx is not a complete set of common system scaffold symbols and there are no loci to make snapping the components together easy. You won't be able to build very much or build it very quickly.

Here are three PDF's of the scaff symbol library I've built so far. I intend to add more components as time permits or circumstance demands. The hidden line rendering does not show the snap points. If I can find the time and my computer doesn't freeze I'll do a wireframe version that shows how I've used 3d loci to make assembling structures simple and logical. I also have stair treads and stair stringers built but haven't exported a PDF. I've also got screw jacks, wheels and some other misc parts.

SYSTEM SCAFFOLD SYMBOLS_BAY BRACES & STANDARDS_JB_REV 3_180213.pdf

SYSTEM SCAFFOLD SYMBOLS_LEDGERS_JB_REV 3_180213.pdf

SYSTEM SCAFFOLD SYMBOLS_WOOD DECKS 19" & 24"_JB_REV 3_180213.pdf

Edited by Jeff Bonny
  • 1 year later...
On 10/1/2018 at 10:53 AM, Jeff Bonny said:

Given the large amount of scaffold that gets used in the entertainment industry it would be very useful to be able to make these calculations with Braceworks.

I just opened the Layer scaffolding file. I'm having software/hardware issues and can't do much but this library looks like it will be of limited use. Maybe there are additional files I did not download but Scaffolding Layher Allround Event.vwx is not a complete set of common system scaffold symbols and there are no loci to make snapping the components together easy. You won't be able to build very much or build it very quickly.

Here are three PDF's of the scaff symbol library I've built so far. I intend to add more components as time permits or circumstance demands. The hidden line rendering does not show the snap points. If I can find the time and my computer doesn't freeze I'll do a wireframe version that shows how I've used 3d loci to make assembling structures simple and logical. I also have stair treads and stair stringers built but haven't exported a PDF. I've also got screw jacks, wheels and some other misc parts.

SYSTEM SCAFFOLD SYMBOLS_BAY BRACES & STANDARDS_JB_REV 3_180213.pdf 572.52 kB · 32 downloads

SYSTEM SCAFFOLD SYMBOLS_LEDGERS_JB_REV 3_180213.pdf 786.66 kB · 19 downloads

SYSTEM SCAFFOLD SYMBOLS_WOOD DECKS 19" & 24"_JB_REV 3_180213.pdf 732.23 kB · 20 downloads

Love this symbols... Any way of getting a copy of the VWX file???

thanks

• 5 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Our Layher library includes pretty much everything you could possibly need to create a Layher scaffold structure,

its found in our library under

Objects - Ent Stage\ Scaffolding Layher Allaround Event

You can very quickly create complex scaffolding structures using this library combined the 'Duplicate array' command (edit menu) and the 'Move by points' tool from the basic toolset. The link below goes to another thread with an excellent video prepared for our Polish users

If there is anything missing from the existing library that you need please let us know,

• Like 2

The current Layher library is very good. When I started building my scaff library no such thing existed. A year and a half after posting this thread I suspect that despite technical difficulties it is only a matter of time before Braceworks technology allows creating complex ground structures with load capacity information and this will be much faster to do with an existing VW library than with a library created from scratch. I have not drawn any significant scaffolding for several months (and being shut down for the Covid duration probably won't for several more) but an issue I've had in the past has been the Canadian dimensions commonly available from my local suppliers haven't been adequately represented. Stairs have also not been easy to add and are very time consuming to create from scratch. And since much scaffold is supplemented with 1.5" pipe and stage truss accurately dimensioned libraries of pipe hardware like burtons, cheeseboroughs and Kee Klamp fittings would be incredibly useful too. I have built these things as I've needed to but my library is far from complete.

Another step in the evolution could be tools that allow easy creation and modification of stair configuration and of base height adjustment with parameters determined by specific screw jack specs. I'd also like to see libraries of other manufacturers equipment as has been done with stage truss. The basic components are often consistent between manufacturers but not always and the specialty pieces unique to individual companies that designers may be using by choice or by availability can differ widely. TSS from Etobicoke Iron Works is typical of rental houses have here in Vancouver, BC. 

Things are definitely moving in the right direction. In 2017 when I showed Geoff McBeath my early system scaff drawings he didn't really understand how widely used scaffolding is in the entertainment industry and why I'd spend so much time building these symbols. But doing an image search for "live entertainment scaffold" and scrolling though page after page of images he got it instantly. One thing I appreciate about VW is how quickly and competently customer needs drive change.