Align Distribute Tool. Is it broken?

Bruce Kieffer

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi, Bruce!

Did v2019 add some features to this command I missed so far? Or is there a tool version?

v2019 Align/Distribute Command acts same as previous for me:

1. Select some objects.

2. Engage the command Modify>Align (or Cmd =).

3. A dialog appears with buttons for various vert and horiz align/distribute options

4. Choose some options and click OK (or press Return) to accept and exit the dialog.

5. The objects move into alignment.

Not sure why you draw a line after starting the tool? or even how the command allows the Line tool to enable for drawing that line. ???

I am not able to draw a line while the dialog is present.

OK, probably my new version confusion.

-B

Align:Distibute.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
finniky

Bruce,

Seems it only works with some objects and not others. All Spotlight objects work correctly.  

Doesn't work with basic shapes but if you create an object out of those shapes it will.

Even if the objects are not spotlight objects. 

It is definitely hit and miss and also have noticed that some of the objects you create from shape like a rectangle to a slab will not align in the correct place that the line was drawn in. 

Very weird. Although this a step up from the last align and distribute bug I found when first upgrading to 2017 Spotlight where it would just crash. 

Now I also have a new instrument summary settings button freeze bug that I am about to go submit. 

SP0 is always interesting.

I am already anticipating SP1.  

This tool has been part of the Spotlight toolset for ages and has always worked with Spotlight toolset objects. However, looking more closely, it seems to work on any object that has an insertion point. Last year it was broken for a while with a number of faults. It seems to be working fine in 2019 and I find it incredibly useful for simple measured distribution of objects along a straight path. I hadn't realised that it work on other objects. This is good news!