Simplify Mesh Doesn't work?

The middle thingy is no Mesh but a Group including "Extrude along Path" Objects (*)

(Paths = Nurbs Curves, Profiles = Circles)

Basically what looks like a network from Tubes

The small 4-Face thingy is a Mesh but too simple already.

Simplifying the big Mesh does also work for me with VW 2019 on Mojave.

(*) You can convert that thing to a (giant 52976 Faces) Mesh and experience

how VW deals with such Mesh Objects and your Computer slows down and is lagging.

You can simplify that Mesh now, but only down to 42526 Faces, which won't help much.

Seems like Simplify Mesh is limited for keeping certain max. Edge Angles between Faces

to keep the original Form, so it does not simplify things like Tubes very Well.

(Useless 348 Face for each of those Tubes here)

Generating such Meshes in a 3D Mesh Model would be still useless but manageable without

problems. But no matter where it comes from or how it was produced (Marionette ?), such

Objects shouldn't be feed in a CAD system that is optimized for work with Solids Geometry.

Indeed, it runs much better as long as it is still a complex Extrude Along Path thing and not

converted to a Mesh Object. But that would happen for many kind of Exports like C4D/FBX/DAE

anyway.

Edited by zoomer

I think this exercise is related to this other post about creating low poly trees - 

There's also some confusion because there are actually 5 objects on the layer. Three of them are stacked on top of each other and it was possible to try and simplify an object that couldn't be simplified -

73388934_ScreenShot2018-09-29at7_49_42AM.thumb.png.4e1977129dac2d2f0dc928e05cb7b349.png

It was my first time trying Simplify Mesh and at first I thought it wasn't doing anything at all. I assumed (incorrectly) that when I dragged the slider that the simplified number of faces would auto-update. In fact it doesn't update and show you what its going to do until you hit the preview button. Not a great interface.

All that said, the smaller meshes are already too simple for Simplify Mesh. @lgoodkind how many faces are you hoping for in your tree? One solution to try would be to recreate your shape using the Subdivision Tool. Using that method you could directly control the number of surfaces. Once you get the shape you want, you could convert a copy to NURBS curves for the "pipe" process.

Depending upon your render mode you may find you don't need to "pipe" everything. NURBS curves currently raster render in some render modes, giving them a perceived thickness. If you need to be able to 3d print the geometry you might try something like Meshmixer to create this geometry ( tutorial link ).

I think the cleanest way to create the "pipe" object in VW would be to decompose the 3d polys into line segments, delete the duplicates and place spheres at the joints. That would be a much more complex Marionette network than the one in your file but its likely possible. I feel like I've seen something like this on the forums but a quick search came up empty ( @Marissa Farrell do you know of something like this? ).

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Thanks for looking in to this.  I realize now that you are right that there was extraneous linework within that mesh which is why it wouldn't simplify.  I assume this is what you found?  We are going to transition to Rhino/grasshopper for most of this type of prototyping but thought I'd at least try first to see what VW can do.  I hope Marionette evolves eventually to the same level but alas no single piece of software can do everything.  VW already one might say tries to do too much.