Dragging symbol from Resource Browser

Andrew Davies

Question

13 answers to this question

Thanks for the speedy reply Jim

Yes - same with any symbol - BUT :

I am in rotated Top view on the working plane (I didn't intentionally choose working plane- but can't seem to change it to layer plane).  Going back to Top/Plan view fixes it. So I think it may be a working plane thing?  Just found a load of chairs 30m off where I was trying to drag them,

How are planes (working / screen / layer) affected by the Rotated view?   Is this user error?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

8 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

Is this user error?

It shouldn't be, no. It should just drop them in aligned to the rotation of the plan. Planes should also just float with the rotation as well.

Could you send me your file please? I'm not able to replicate that in a few files here. I don't use rotated plan myself but when I rotated the plan a few times in these, I wasnt able to replicate there either on Mac or Windows.

So, in this file, it looks like you had a user origin set. I reset it back to 0,0 from the internal origin, then symbol insertion from click/drag worked fine. I then set a few more custom origins after this, rotated plan, and then was not able to get the issue to recur after that. See if resetting the origin and then putting it back where you intended it resolves it on your end.

What happens if you do NOT use any saved views to navigate between attempting the fix and symbol insertion? If it works without using the saved view, you may need to delete that saved view and recreate it, or perhaps try redefining the saved view. I don't THINK they're supposed to store any information about the document origin, but it may be something about the view orientation settings being kept that's keeping the problem around.

If the fix I prescribed doesn't work even without the use of Saved Views, then it might be time for a preference reset if the issue is happening on your machine but is correctable by another (my) machine after changing settings.

Well, if I try setting another user origin position, i cant make it re-happen here. It could still be a bug, but we would need to find WHAT about that saved view mattered. I'll submit it but without more specifics they might not find the root. I'll keep an eye out for any similar reports.