Record format assigned to a symbol

Hi 

This is one of those things I have always thought is possible - but haven't got round to working out how to do.

I would like to assign a value to a symbol.  For example - to work out seating capacity - one sofa could seat 3 people - so can I assign a "Capacity" variable that is set within the symbol.  A chair would have a capacity of 1.

I could then create a worksheet which counted the number of symbols - then a total capacity depending on how many 3 seat, 1 seat sofas etc I have.

Is that a job for a record format?  I have used them a lot - but only to set a variable for each instance of a symbol (ie a table number etc)

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yes, you can assign the Record Format to the Symbol Definition and set the values for that symbol there. Each instance will then have a version of the Record Format attached with the default value.

Two catches:

1. Once a Symbol Instance is placed, it gets its own version of the Record attached. So each Symbol Instance can be edited and the value changed for that specific instance. This is a great feature, unless someone makes changes that they shouldn't and you have to try and find which objects have the wrong values.

2. Similarly, one a Symbol Instance is placed, there is not longer a connection to the Record.Field values associated with the symbol definition. So when you decide you can squeeze 4 people onto the sofa instead of 3, you can't just change the Symbol Definition, you have to edit every Symbol Instance (power user tip: Create a worksheet, copy the value you want, select the [continuous] range that you want that value to be in, and paste. This will put that value into every cell).

• Like 1

Each Symbol Definition can have it's own "default" value for the record.field.

So you can create a Sofa Symbol Definition with a value of 3. Each Symbol Instance Placed from the Resource Manager or the Symbol Insertion Tool will get a "copy" of that record.field with a value of 3. 

You can then have a separate Chair Symbol Definition with a value of 1. Each Symbol Instance Placed from the Resource Manager or the Symbol Insertion Tool will get a "copy" of that record.field with a value of 1.

If you want to use the same symbol for a Sofa and a Chair, you are our of luck except to manually change the value on each Symbol Instance.

If someone changes the value on a Symbol Instance (a Sofa to 4 instead of 3 for instance) and then Duplicates the symbol instead of Inserting a new one, that duplicate will have a value of 4. 

• Like 1

If you want to set the default value for a Record Field for a Symbol Definition, is the proper way to go into Symbol Edit mode via the RM, make sure nothing in the symbol is selected, go to the data tab, and enter the default value in the correct format/field?

Is there another way to do this? Are there any relevant menu commands?

I haven't dealt with records much the last couple years so just curious if this is the best way.

I think there is a script floating around to change record values, but I don't have time to search for it now.

On an ad hoc basis, I would use a worksheet.

Set the criteria to Record "My Record Name" is present. If you want to do a subset then also add an Is Selected.

Create a column containing the Record.Field that you want. 

Edit one cell to the value you want applied to all. Select the cell and Copy.

Select all the cells that you want changed. Paste. The single value will be placed into each instance of the symbol.

If you want different values for the same symbol on a regular basis, then a PIO might be the best way to go as you will be able to see the value on the Shape tab of the OIP instead of having to switch to the Data tab.

Actually try and see if VW will let you edit the Data Tab values if you have more than one object selected. I don't have VW open right now.

• Like 1