I heart OBJ

4 hours ago, jeff prince said:

@mjm

I never needed up doing that stadium in VW due to time constraint.

However, here's something you all might enjoy following...

I saw this post shortly after you made it. Amazing work.

So, you're flying the drone yourself?

4 hours ago, mjm said:

I saw this post shortly after you made it. Amazing work.

So, you're flying the drone yourself?

Thanks!

Yes, I am self-taught in the black arts of drone operations and Vectorworks 🙂

I started with the drone in December of 2016.  I started dabbling in VW sometime in 2017, though I haven’t generated any meaningful work with it yet.

Here’s my first stab at a drone story a few weeks after purchasing the craft.  This all stated as a toy for documenting my motorcycle and travel adventures.  Then I figured out it could make work a little more interesting and productive 🙂. I’m looking forward to getting back to filming some motorcycle action for fun in the coming months.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, mjm said:

Holy heck. So, is that footage straight out of the drone's camera, no exposure or color edits? If so—dang thats pretty. What camera?

Thank you.  Yes, that is raw footage... shot on an overcast day... with default settings.  I barely knew how to operate the drone, but I did know what I wanted to achieve.  The overhead straight down shot of the bikes was cropped and panned to enhance the appearance of gaining altitude.  It was shot with the first gen Mavic Pro using an iPhone as the controller screen.  During many of the shots I could barely see my framing or the bikes due to glare and just focused on the road and where I thought they would be.  All of the flight and gimble moves were done manually too.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, jeff prince said:

done manually too

Brilliantly piloted!!! Lovely shots. There's some lovely videos on youtube about setting up your gimbal for really nice cinematic shots. My mavic wasn't great out of the box, but after some tweaking, it's super smooth now.

See the attached file, and @jeff prince your video 3:20 - 4:10. I'm really enjoying seeing where our industry is going. Exciting times! Who know what's in store in the next few years!

RockFace.vwx

Edited by RussU
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, RussU said:

Brilliantly piloted!!! Lovely shots. There's some lovely videos on youtube about setting up your gimbal for really nice cinematic shots. My mavic wasn't great out of the box, but after some tweaking, it's super smooth now.

See the attached file, and @jeff prince your video 3:20 - 4:10. I'm really enjoying seeing where our industry is going. Exciting times! Who know what's in store in the next few years!

RockFace.vwx

Thanks, that was a fun day.

you are right about the gimbal, it was pretty touchy before I configured it.  That and I got the feel for the wheel now 🙂

I’ll have to take a look at your file next time I’m in front of VW.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:50 PM, RussU said:

RockFace.vwx

@RussU  That rockface turned out really nice.  What did you use to produce it?

1 hour ago, jeff prince said:

What did you use to produce it?

That particular one was done in Agisoft Metashape Pro.

I took your footage and turned it into tif at 5fps. I wasn't expecting it to come out well, because youtube adds some compression which can mess up the footage on occasion.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RussU said:

That particular one was done in Agisoft Metashape Pro.

I took your footage and turned it into tif at 5fps. I wasn't expecting it to come out well, because youtube adds some compression which can mess up the footage on occasion.

That is an impressive result.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Thanks for turning me on to this string.  Really cool stuff.  Is the drone work profitable for you or are you in hobby mode with it.  I have a realtor friend who uses it and had to get a license.  But I'm in Massachusetts the land of licenses.  So I'm not sure if it federal or state.  I've started with VW from Dynascape in 2020 and with limited time to really dig in I'm finally getting into 3d modeling.  It would be really cool to make measuring more efficient.  Psyched to hear about the tools your using can't wait to get there.

BTW your real generous with info here...Just wanted to give you a shout out...Thanks!

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Landartma said:

Is the drone work profitable for you or are you in hobby mode with it.  I have a realtor friend who uses it and had to get a license.

Glad it helped.  Started as a hobby for travel photography, became useful as a tool one day when I discovered photo to model and aerial photo capability 🙂
It’s really more of a time saving and site analysis tool for me.  I essentially get an immersive model and 100s of photos I can revisit, which is great when your job sites are 1000s of miles away and you forget to snap a photo of something. I usually get surveys done and use my drone based model as a place holder until better data arrives.

License and insurance highly recommended, or hire a drone company to protect yourself.  Drone companies save you the time and effort learning how to use the tools.  Just make sure they are licensed and insured too.  FAA administers the licensing and rules.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

My comment was perhaps not intended to be all that seriously for city planning 😉

The iPhone can be surprisingly useful for smaller projects. The movie was just for fun and was actually created by the iPhone program itself. The purpose of this scan was to analyse a drainage problem on a 30 x 15 meter area.  The scan took say 5-10 minutes as the site was rather steep and slippery. The model imported fine into VW though I hade to fit the YZ from this particular program. Converting the model to a DTM seemed to take forever, so instead I placed a plane at a given height and traced the intersections manually in a separate layer not using snapping. I then moved the plane a given distance and repeated the procedure until I got a series of 3D polygons, which was used for creating the DTM. I also did an illustration of the shape using a series of vertical grid surfaces to visualise the shape to the non technical people.

Iphone Scan.jpg

This is what I was interested to know: how you go about converting the scan into a DTM.

Is there a way to use the Analysis Tool to quickly place a grid of 3D Loci on the surface of the object + then create the Site Model from these, rather than the manual tracing method you describe...?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

This is what I was interested to know: how you go about converting the scan into a DTM.

Is there a way to use the Analysis Tool to quickly place a grid of 3D Loci on the surface of the object + then create the Site Model from these, rather than the manual tracing method you describe...?

I used the this manual method as VW does not seem to like meshes having a couple of hundred thousand triangles.

As I mentioned, I generated a flat rectangular 3D polygon and used that as a working plane. The trace takes place that the intersection between the flat plane and the 3D model, a bit like something sticking up on a water surface.  I started at the lower corner of the house with Z = 0. I then went to the top (not top plan) and traced the contour around the intersection between the flat plane and the 3D model using OpenGL rendering (or whatever it's called now). I used 3D polygons but it can just as well be 3D loci. Also important to do the tracing in a different layer with no intermediate snapping going on, as VW then freaks out completely. Once one level is done, you simply move the flat plane up some distance, in my case I used 0.5 meters, and traced it again. Remember to move the working plane to the new level. Etc. The result was indeed a site model.   Details such as trees are easy to insert when required.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

I used the this manual method as VW does not seem to like meshes having a couple of hundred thousand triangles.

As I mentioned, I generated a flat rectangular 3D polygon and used that as a working plane. The trace takes place that the intersection between the flat plane and the 3D model, a bit like something sticking up on a water surface.  I started at the lower corner of the house with Z = 0. I then went to the top (not top plan) and traced the contour around the intersection between the flat plane and the 3D model using OpenGL rendering (or whatever it's called now). I used 3D polygons but it can just as well be 3D loci. Also important to do the tracing in a different layer with no intermediate snapping going on, as VW then freaks out completely. Once one level is done, you simply move the flat plane up some distance, in my case I used 0.5 meters, and traced it again. Remember to move the working plane to the new level. Etc. The result was indeed a site model.   Details such as trees are easy to insert when required.

Thanks @Claes Lundstrom. Would you consider posting a file with an example scan on it? Does it come in as a Mesh object? I'm really interested in this but don't have an iPhone...

1 hour ago, Landartma said:

So you can scan 100 acres in 30 minutes with an I Phone?  Using the 3d modeling functionality?  It gives elevations?  Locate individual trees and I imagine rock house corners?  How accurate is it?  

No, that’s a drone capability. 

The iPhone is limited to slow walking speed and about 20 minutes, depending on how complex the subject and/or ambient temperatures.  It’s reallly easy to overheat the iPhone when scanning.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jeff prince said:

No, that’s a drone capability. 

The iPhone is limited to slow walking speed and about 20 minutes, depending on how complex the subject and/or ambient temperatures.  It’s reallly easy to overheat the iPhone when scanning.

Are the scans georeferenced? Can multiple scans be accurately stitched together?

23 minutes ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

This makes me sad.

There are tools which can create contours or points of your scan that can be imported into VWX.