Section Viewports. Odd behaviour

Andrew Davies

Question

Hi

Just created a section viewport (from a top/plan Viewport) in Vectorworks 2019 on a Mac (10.13.6)

Getting some really odd behaviour.  This is part of my regular workflow and I have never seen this happen before.  Hope this is not a VWX2019 bug??

I will upload a screencast shortly as I think it is best way of illustrating it - but the viewport is creating two versions of the section.  One at a much bigger scale than expected (only visible when zoomed out) and another which for some reason flickers in / out of view. 

I have deleted the viewport and tried again (and restarted Vectorworks) to no avail.

As mentioned - this is something I do regularly as part of my workflow and was very surprised to see it.  Am sure I haven’t seen it before.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour before?

Screencast to follow shortly.

Edited by Andrew Davies
Added screencast

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Andrew Davies would it be possible to get a screencast (or written steps) showing how the Section Viewport is being created? We've tried to duplicate this (by cutting an SVP from a Top/Plan viewport) but haven't had any luck, so there might be one or two small steps that are triggering the problem. Thanks for your help!

@Andrew Davies the screencast really only shows the result of the bug, but not the steps that led to it. This makes it difficult for us to address since we don't know what the actual trigger is. I spent a good bit of time this morning trying different things but didn't have any luck duplicating it, so any more info you can offer is much-appreciated.

@Tim C. Apologies - thought you hadn't seen it.

I chose Create Section Viewport from the View menu whilst on a Sheet layer.  I then drew the section line where I need it (just in front of my set in this case) - and chose the direction.  All was normal.

I then chose the sheet layer I wanted it on (one I had duplicated and then deleted the viewport on) and set Advanced Properties and changed it to keep the extents to the section line (pleased to see it now remembers that setting!

I was then taken to the new Viewport when I saw the issue.

Let me know if that helps - let me know if you need any more info, or another screencast.  I am busy on something else now - but will pick this up again later.  I did the elevation the old way!

Thanks,

Andrew

@Andrew Davies No problem at all, Andrew. It's probably something very specific that triggers it, but if you see it again please let us know.

Just a side-note: if it does happen again, you should be able to get rid of the problem quickly by deleting the Viewport and then doing an Undo operation to bring the viewport back. This recalculates the graphics and should get rid of any display issues for that object. Not ideal but it can save a bit of time.

Thanks again for your help!

Tim