Phantom Elements in My Sections

Tom Klaber
Message added by PVA - Admin

This issue should be corrected as of 2019 Sp1.

Question

The section seems to be displaying cuts of elements it should not.  When I go into Edit Section In Place - those objects are not there - they only show up in the section viewport.  Most of them appear to be components of groups of symbols with different classes than their container object - as if the section disregards container objects and breaks everything down when gauging if to display or not.  

I have been able to eliminate most of them, but there are these few persistent objects and I can not find the source geometry that is causing them.  

Is anybody else experiencing this? 

12 answers to this question

Yes.   Still in VW2018.  I got this for the first time the other day.   They appeared to be old objects that had been deleted awhile ago and no longer existed in the model but somehow 'stuck' in the viewport.   Others in my office informed me that they had seen this a few times and figured out that if you duplicate the layer the phantom object was once on then the object mysteriously appears in the duplicate layer and you are able to select it and delete it.   Bazaar.  Not sure how they discovered this but it was helpful in a pinch.

At that point you should be able to delete the original layer.  I believe the duplicate layer keeps all the original layer settings in viewports, etc.

Joe

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/25/2018 at 12:22 PM, Tom Klaber said:

The section seems to be displaying cuts of elements it should not.  When I go into Edit Section In Place - those objects are not there - they only show up in the section viewport.  Most of them appear to be components of groups of symbols with different classes than their container object - as if the section disregards container objects and breaks everything down when gauging if to display or not.  

I have been able to eliminate most of them, but there are these few persistent objects and I can not find the source geometry that is causing them.  

Hi Tom,

I assume you're seeing this in VW 2019?
This is a known issue in 2019 and being looked at.

• Like 1

Matt,

Actually in the file I sent you, I moved furniture objects to a layer titled "1-First Floor FFE" because elements were showing up in the section foreground and background, even though I had turned off those classes. You could copy or move them back onto the "1-First Floor" layer and refresh the section (AA or BB). 

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the info. Here's what I found (in VW 2019 SP1):

In Section AA and BB, I turned on the "1-First Floor FFE" layer containing the furniture and updated the viewports. Section AA looked like it's working correctly. Section BB also looked good, except for one item: The bed mattress from the bed symbol is displaying and should not. Submitting bug now...

15 hours ago, leecalisti said:

Matt, thank you.

No problem, Lee.

I thank you for pointing me to the file. It pointed us to a problem the fix in SP1 did not correct.

15 hours ago, leecalisti said:

Originally I had the furniture on the other layer. I tend to use one layer per floor, but have many classes. I added the FFE layer to deal with this bug.

Right. I was going to copy the objects over to the other layer, but turning it on was easier. 😉

Either way should give the same results.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:22 AM, Tom Klaber said:

Totally experiencing this issue.

It is a brutal bug, working on an apartment building and furniture showing up everywhere it shouldn't. 

I'm guessing its related to there new low, med, high feature.  When a class is off it should never show up.

My current workaround is to use the Detail Level low and turn off symbols that are inside of unit plan symbols.

I hope VW's fixes this soon.

• Like 1