Crash When "Display Objects Before Cut Plane" Selected

Tom Klaber

Question

23 answers to this question

ok I'm back! I managed to get this to work 2 weeks ago and was mighty pleased. I was trying to do same today with an open gl perspective viewport and failed several times! I am no techy but at least 1 way I got this to work last time was put my stairs on a new stair class. Then I had to change the settings both in the VP object display and hidden object display as below and i got it to work ? (but have no idea why?) (i.e. what is object display and hidden obj display difference?) (why not hidden obj display only - which doesnt work?) I still have to say it's made my file crash a few times?

image.thumb.png.bc408bcf6ffeeb158eb720122870cfa9.png 

File sent @Matt Sometimes the VP freezes when updating and sometimes the file just crashes altogether....I hope this helps? Enjoy the model it was a hard survey! I have another query out with VSS in the uk regarding ClCu Viewports not rendering correctly showing all the model externals and not the clipped bits too....

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@David S,

Thanks for the file! Nice work! It does look like you had some fun modeling it. 

Unfortunately, I don't see any freezing or crashing on my Mac.

I see from your screenshot that you're on Windows. @Tom Klaber, are you on Windows as well?

Are you both seeing this in VW 2019 SP1?

I'll give this a shot on Windows and report back...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
35 minutes ago, David S said:

Yes Matt windows 10. So it's ok in a mac environment?> Would love this to be resolved just like the videos say it would do! @Tamsin Slatter

It's OK for me on both Mac and Windows. If I could get it to crash, I submit a bug myself. Reporting a bug that cannot be reproduced is of little use. If you wouldn't mid submitting one, our Quality Assurance team will be able to communicate with you to try to get a reproducible case.

(over and above the issue reported by Tom.....)

Hi Matt yes windows 10 and SP1.  This afternoon I updated my driver in a last ditch effort to rule things in & out. To be fair the last driver update was less than a month old.

I did manage to get the viewport (its not a section viewport) below left to clip-render in glorious render and then tried the one to the top (same render)

You can see that viewport showing the section cut but also showing the whole model externally?

It’s all quite random!

When I’ve been trying to do section clip cube viewports the viewport image created is not the same orientation/image as the one I am trying to viewport! Bizarre!

I have a call out with VSS UK so I will report back with any findings.....

image.thumb.png.6e30366d5bf0dad2df120d5da0d24aa4.png

Edited by David S

It's great that it works for you. I would love to see some screen grabs? When you pay in excess of £2000 per year as a VSS cutomer and you get very excited about what I can show my clients and it all fails completely, and you spend days of your own time wondering why you can't do what it says in the video it is very frustrating. 

Hi Matt. Delighted to say my rendering issues got resolved by switching from best to good performance (they only setting I forgot to change). Still working through the issue raised by Tom above but thought you'd like to see the new clip cube images we can produce now!! Great stuff from VW Thank you for your help and time cheers D

image.thumb.png.719f747d4803c2b185b8ade641c2dd03.png

@Tom KlaberHi Tom I am now on Sp1.1 2019 Below is a direct VP now showing the remainder of the stair in red dashed. Getting there! However when I created a section viewport in open 3D model GL and attempted the same thing, the programme stalls & crashes still. Just thought I'd report back. All my issues with rendered VPs now seem to have been resolved. @Matt Panzer   too.

image.thumb.png.f5b6cb1d1c08d9b37cc40ffe9c03d5ce.png