Disappearing Walls (also slabs sometimes)

Amorphous - Julian

Question

(Forgive me if this post appears multiple times, but I have posted it twice onto 'troubleshooting' and I cannot see it appear).

In our model, 'walls' sometimes disappear.

These disappeared walls don't show a fill, they don't show a wireframe outline. It is only when we 'force select' the object that we see it 'selected' as a 'ghost'.

We have devised some methods to deal with this:

1) Nudge the object. Sometimes this works

2) Replace the Wall style. Sometimes this works.

3) Toggle class visibilities to 'all visible' (note components in our walls is set to 'object class', so it wasn't that we 'forgot to turn some classes on').

In terms of toggling class visibilities, it is Interesting to note that the 'disappearing walls' will not come back if I 'Select All' class and make them 'all visible' (in Navigation Palette).

The 'disappearing walls' will only come back if I 'option-click' the visible icon for classes to make them 'all visible'. 

I have spent half an hour today fixing this problem in a small area of the project. 

This happens persistently over many wall objects in our model  (so a lot of time to do workarounds for the said VW bugs).

Every time we open the project file when we start the day we get some new surprises.

The version we are using is Vectorworks 2018 SP4. (Will we see SP5 to close out any remaining issue?)

Example 3 - Now you see me.png

Example 3 - Disappeared wall .png

SCREEN SHOT HERE.png

SCREEN SHOT DISAPPEAR.png

Example 4- What is should be.png

Example 4. What it is.png

Example 2 - What is should be.png

Example 2 - What it is.png

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think this is an OpenGL redraw issue.  What works for me is selecting the object and then toggling any option in the render tab of the OIP. This forces that redraw.  This seems to keep the visibility in the file. Even after I open and close the file or start a new session of Vectorworks. 

I have also noticed that the wall object sometimes disappears after inserting the slab through the inner boundary mode.

The wall appears in 2D but not in 3D. I am only able to select it in 2D.

When I move it in 2D or replace the wall style it shows up in 3D.

I am using VW 2019 SP4 in Mac OS 10.14.6

Edited by Rishie

@Rishie  We redraw those walls to fix this, we have done quite a bit of redrawing walls because of this. 

@Ruby S Doesn't seem like an OpenGL issue. We get that in hidden line render (our elevations, sections etc) too. 

@Ruby S Separately, floors are constantly having this problem too (see enclosed images)

To fix the disappearing floors, we have to click into base geometry of the floor object, change fill to 'solid' from (by class), come outside of the object, go back in side the base geometry, and change back to 'by class'. This may not always work, maybe 60% of the time.

This disappearing floor issue happens way more often than the disappearing walls. Would be great if it can be fixed. 

__gone.png

__here.png

Hi Adam, our origin is at the point of our model (See enclosed screenshot), so the origin point shouldn't be our issue here. 
Since we have Non-Disclosure with clients for all of our projects, it would not be responsible for me to post this model up. 
This issue only happens intermittently, and where it appears in the model, we'd already fixed them.

So I'm not sure how much our model would help you reproduce the issue, anyway. 
image.thumb.png.2c3787c0788369f49516600ce52b99a7.png