BridleTool a mess

Hello Users.

I've been trying the Bridle Tool.

But I think is a mess.

They tried to make something but didn't understand how.

1st The bridle doesn't snap to a hoist that's inserted with the Hoist Tool.

You can change the downleg for a hoist.

But what rigger start with designing bridles before you got a hoist.

2nd Why do is there always a downleg "what's called a drop or stinger in the business".

A downleg should be used if the hoist does not have enough chain length or you need a steel for a deadhang.

3th why is there a 4 leg bridle choice.

A 4 leg bride won't work cause there's always a leg who does nothing cause steelwirerope is never exactly on the mm.

4th They should change the trim height to apex height.

If the tool snaps to a house rigging point or structural member you don't need a trim height you need a apex height.

What I'm missing is the text from the bridle configuration in the drawing instead of the assembly diagram.

How is the rest thinking about this?

Greetings Martijn.

• Like 1

Hi @Martijn Wingelaar,

thanks for your Feedback. I have added some information about your question. I hope you find them useful.

1 hour ago, Martijn Wingelaar said:

Hello Users.

I've been trying the Bridle Tool.

But I think is a mess.

They tried to make something but didn't understand how.

1st The bridle doesn't snap to a hoist that's inserted with the Hoist Tool.

You can change the downleg for a hoist.

But what rigger start with designing bridles before you got a hoist.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-25 um 17.29.47.png

This is possible. Just makle sure that the hoist chain in not to long. If this is the case you get an error.

2nd Why do is there always a downleg "what's called a drop or stinger in the business".

A downleg should be used if the hoist does not have enough chain length or you need a steel for a deadhang.

You can set the down leg length in the Bridle Peferences to 0.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-25 um 17.35.32.pngBildschirmfoto 2018-09-25 um 17.35.49.png

3th why is there a 4 leg bridle choice.

A 4 leg bride won't work cause there's always a leg who does nothing cause steelwirerope is never exactly on the mm.

There where several request for this. But I agree with you.

4th They should change the trim height to apex height.

If the tool snaps to a house rigging point or structural member you don't need a trim height you need a apex height.

You can define the Apex Height in the Bridle Preferences.

What I'm missing is the text from the bridle configuration in the drawing instead of the assembly diagram.

What do you mean with this?

How is the rest thinking about this?

Greetings Martijn.

Hi @Moritz Staffel

I am trying out the bridle tool also. I have a couple of questions:

When I select the bridle downlength mode, then the tool makes a bridle all the way to Z=0. On each other mode I get a downleg that I don't want. 

If i make a simple two legged bridle the it always gives me a chain shorten on both legs. I should only need a chain shorten on one of the legs. 

If I do line up a hoist to two rigging points, then I get odd Bridle lengths. Even with the maximum leg length set to 2000 Can I easily make the leg lengths of a bridle shorter? Changing things in de OIP breaks the bridle. 

Beamclamps are mentioned, for instance in the filter check box in the manage bridle parts window. But I don't see any beamclamps in the bridle parts list?

Can I make anything work as a rigging beam as opposed to a rigging point? (the structural member tool does not work yet)

Thanks

13 hours ago, Sebastiaan said:

When I select the bridle downlength mode, then the tool makes a bridle all the way to Z=0. On each other mode I get a downleg that I don't want. 

@SebastiaanYou also can modify the Bridle after insertion in the OIP for the Down Leg Length. Can you post a screenshot of what you try to use? I'm not quite sure.

Can I make anything work as a rigging beam as opposed to a rigging point? (the structural member tool does not work yet)

This should work. Make sure you insert the  Structural Member at the right height.

If i make a simple two legged bridle the it always gives me a chain shorten on both legs. I should only need a chain shorten on one of the legs. 

I will write this down. I think there is room for improvements there.

If I do line up a hoist to two rigging points, then I get odd Bridle lengths. Even with the maximum leg length set to 2000 Can I easily make the leg lengths of a bridle shorter? Changing things in de OIP breaks the bridle

Can you send a screen shot?

@SebastiaanYou also can modify the Bridle after insertion in the OIP for the Down Leg Length. Can you post a screenshot of what you try to use? I'm not quite sure.

@Moritz Staffel

With drop lengths set to 0 i get the following bridle all the way to the ground. This is when not snapping to a hoist. I think when not snapping to a hoist, the plugin should make the shortest possible bridle length that angle restrictions allow for. Also it does seem to listen to the maxumun leg length.

Also can it bee that the bridle plugin does not listen to my document units? It seems like it listens to mm while i have my units set to cm. When I set the preferences to something that makes sense in cm then it will not allow me to make a bridle.

1797463223_ScreenShot2018-10-01at11_32_02.thumb.png.0bebd5ebc9560085e0e4301ca4040e9c.png1352410386_ScreenShot2018-10-01at11_31_43.thumb.png.fc7420bcdc86d9d7b3c2abcecc896f2c.png

In isometric view I do seem to be able to snap to a hoist in two legged view however, then the bridle lays on the floor and is not attached to the rigging point annymore:333920279_ScreenShot2018-10-01at11_40_03.thumb.png.2d11c06eef3bc72c9e8d1fc824dc575d.png

Edited by Sebastiaan

This should work. Make sure you insert the  Structural Member at the right height.

@Moritz Staffel

The structural member tool does not work at this moment. as described in the topic below. can I make anything else behave as a beam as opposed to a point?

14 hours ago, Sebastiaan said:

If I do line up a hoist to two rigging points, then I get odd Bridle lengths. Even with the maximum leg length set to 2000 Can I easily make the leg lengths of a bridle shorter? Changing things in de OIP breaks the bridle. 

Can you send a screen shot?

Sure. It starts with the very long bridle all the way to the floor:

606789014_ScreenShot2018-10-01at12_36_38.thumb.png.798a2a86954098e9cb73be94cfb393c8.png881923450_ScreenShot2018-10-01at12_36_49.thumb.png.c2dc33e5be1f8d8ad8734391fd9113d3.png

If i then set the downleg back to 0 then the apex jumps to 0 again also. 

Then I change the apex height to 1000cm and it automatically reinserts a down leg of 1000. If i remove the down leg then the bridle becomes long to the floor again.

However if I have the simple 3d part unchecked, then I get very weird behaviour. The parts of the bridle go all over the screen:

1017739179_ScreenShot2018-10-01at12_33_44.thumb.png.84837c1625db4c0bb9c22b881b85f0e0.png

1624512971_ScreenShot2018-10-01at12_33_54.thumb.png.aa48a53d69bd93da9bacfc37f4e8bf2e.png

143189339_ScreenShot2018-10-01at12_34_04.thumb.png.349db9c5ac67c813919d073149a21d77.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 12.33.13.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 12.32.59.png

• 4 weeks later...

@ Moritz and all other users.

Again.

A bad Tool.

So what if I want to create a 3 leg bridle and all the hanging points are at a different height?

Like in a spaceframe with an extra level? "Image 1".

Leg 1 at 11m, Leg 2 at 15m, Leg 3 at 19m.

This happens a lot weight wise.

Now in the tool I have to give a trim height that's for all the legs.

This is the wrong way around.

Snap to a House Rigging Point or Structural Member.

Set this as trim height.

Some more things I think are strange.

1: Bridle leg angle.

How can you choose the max angle? What's the max angle? 120 degrees?

Why if I want to make it 130 with a load of 500Kg I get an equal load of 590.31Kg in both legs.

If I use 1t steel then what??

2: Bridle leg length.

How can you choose the leg length before you've created the Bridle?

Metric you can choose steels with a 25cm interval.

Leg 1 should always be the shortest.

And "you prefer this one without a S.T.A.C or Chainclutch".

What does not work in the Bridle Configuration.

The creator of the tool is thinking the wrong way.

Is not a Rigger and got the advice from the wrong people.

There are some good examples of how it should work.

1: http://www.vectorbridle.com/ a vectorworks plugin

2: http://bridlecalculator.com/ a AutoCAD and Bricscad plug-in

Schermafbeelding 2018-10-29 om 19.46.34.png

@ Moritz and all other users.

Again.

A bad Tool.

So what if I want to create a 3 leg bridle and all the hanging points are at a different height?

Like in a spaceframe with an extra level? "Image 1".

Leg 1 at 11m, Leg 2 at 15m, Leg 3 at 19m.

This happens a lot weight wise.

Now in the tool I have to give a trim height that's for all the legs.

This is the wrong way around.

Snap to a House Rigging Point or Structural Member.

Set this as trim height.

You can use the Click based mode for this.

1. Insert House Rigging Points at the desired location

2. Set the trim from the House Rigging Points

3. Insert a Bridle using Click based mode

Some more things I think are strange.

1: Bridle leg angle.

How can you choose the max angle? What's the max angle? 120 degrees?

Why if I want to make it 130 with a load of 500Kg I get an equal load of 590.31Kg in both legs.

If I use 1t steel then what??

You can define this from the bridle preferences. This is the angle between the horizontal and the bridle leg.

This is not the angle between the bridle legs.

2: Bridle leg length.

How can you choose the leg length before you've created the Bridle?

Metric you can choose steels with a 25cm interval.

You can choose this, so the Bridle tools tries to create legs that match that length. The angle from the bridle will then be set, so that one bridle leg matches the desired length.

Leg 1 should always be the shortest.

This is the case. 

And "you prefer this one without a S.T.A.C or Chainclutch".

What does not work in the Bridle Configuration.

You can remove this from the Bridle parts with the Bridle Configuration.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 9:26 AM, Moritz Staffel said:

@Sebastiaan

Sorry for the late response, I was in vacation, and I needed so time time to get rid of the Backlog.

The Structural Member needs to be at the right elevation. Otherwise there is no connection possible.

Also make sure they are enabled in the Bridle Preferences.

If you still run into problems, can you please provide the a drawing?

Bildschirmfoto 2018-10-29 um 09.23.47.pngBildschirmfoto 2018-10-29 um 09.24.57.png

Hi @Moritz Staffel

Thank you, indeed the "use structural member....." was unchecked in my file. However now the bridle can not snap to the middle of a structural member in auto insertion mode, it will only 

snap to the end of it. I can make a bridle in the middel of a member with click mode, but then still the above issues are still present. Changing the bridle configuraction manually is a workaround, but would be great if some of these issues could be improved in a service pack?

205158861_ScreenShot2018-11-07at20_13_40.thumb.png.a362802f82ab5d2b7395c51df722379f.png

@Martijn Wingelaar

Maybe we should ask the developers for improvements of the tools instead of calling their work a mess and useless? 

Edited by Sebastiaan