How to create thick walls

Hi all, I am trying to create some 18 inch thick walls with an opening. These are preexisting walls. The simple way to do it I guess, would be to just change the settings so that the wall is a solid 18 inches. However, that is not how the wall is built. Obviously they used metal studs and there is a void in the center. When I draw it that way and put in a door as an opening there is a gap in the overhead between the 2 walls. Is there a way to cap the top of the door? Maybe I can change the thickness of the door in one wall to cut across to the other side? What say you!?

You can create the wall with components and then display the details.  So you can create the assembly - void and all - and then the door will cut correctly.  

I have a few situations that required double walls that interact with windows - for that, I had the real window cutting through one - and then an uncased opening cutting through the others - it is far from perfect.  

So I create the void as a component? I guess I might be being anal about it. I was hoping that when I was in plan view the void would be visible. Right now it looks like there's a giant stud running across the middle of the wall. If you want to see what I have I can attach a file. I have a test file I am trying things out on so I don't have to do it in my giant work file.

One weird workaround I came up with was to make another wall the width of the void made the height of the wall the thickness of a wall and made the bottom offset the height of the opening. That plugged the opening in the void over the opening. It works but it would be better if the door opening filled the void in between the 2 walls.

I guess I do not understand - so if you can send the file with the graphics you are trying to accomplish - we can try and create a wall.

You can make the void visible.  If you create a class called void - and set the void component to the class settings, and all other components to the wall class settings, you can set the void to display as whatever you like.

1882573381_VOIDwall.thumb.PNG.d4a38b9442b0ce9c5fce00382c15ad59.PNG

Have a look at what I have so far. I have openings in the walls with components. I gave them all their own dims and fills etc. I didn't name any of the components in this exercise but I have been naming them GWB, studs etc. It is irritating that it wants to revert them to textures all the time though but that is a story for another day. When  I create the door opening I can see the layers at the top of the opening when using the walk through tool I can hid that if I use a cased opening but our openings don't have trim. If I create a wall made from multiple walls like ours our built the door cant cut through both. I may have expectations that VW cant do. I like the components as I can add the wall colors to opposite sides of a single wall. I prefer using walls as apposed to extrusions as I like the functionality of the components.

walls.vwx

Not bad, but on the walls where the opening intersects the other walls there is a ridge. I tried adding zeros to the thickness but when it gets too thin you get clipping. It is funny VW doesn't consider that an opening in a wall doesn't show layers when walking through. The problem isn't there if the whole wall is identical all the way around. Currently my project has it set up where there are normal walls then an extrusion across the opening but that looks more strange as there isn't a line there in life either. This is a rotating exhibit space where we alter the walls frequently and It would be nice to have the walls easier to change. even when I try a styled wall it is the same thing. I can't imagine it is that rare to have a wall opening without framing. I have a handful in my house haha.

It sounds like this is coming from a fundamental want to have the wall void visible but then also hidden.  I still think this should be easily accomplished by using components and then turning on or off Show Details depending on the view.  So for the walkthrough - turn off Show Details - and the wall will just be solid.  Turn it on for the plans so that you can see the void.  

Good luck.

Hmmm, is show details a 2018 thing? I'm in 17. The void is probably less important than the openings looking right. I could probably sell the lack of void to my boss. Those stripes make no sense. In the interim I have been making the core the same color as one of the walls and have one side with a strip the thickness of the drywall on one side. I guess I can make one sheet of drywall 1/32" thick and increase the interior thickness to accommodate. What I really want is the wall I have on off to the side to have an opening through it. That would make me happy as that is how the walls are built. Like I said, I think I might be asking for too much. I could technically change it all in Photoshop, but why have that extra step?