VW 2019 viewports drop down

michael john williams

Question

23 answers to this question

7 hours ago, michael john williams said:

The top drop down menus for viewports and layers and classes is much smaller on 2019 than 2018. Hence it is not easy to switch from layer to layer or viewports to layers, etc. Is there a way for making the width of this dropdown wider?

You can make the class/layer dropdown menus wider. With the menu extended, click and pull on the three dots in the bottom right hand corner and resize as needed.

Kevin

783349851_ScreenShot2018-09-21at7_14_27AM.thumb.png.986147d13ae568d6417c39cc02560ae2.png

3 hours ago, Ethan R. said:

@Kevin - lol - odd workaround - works for a bit- then if I re-open VectorWorks (mostly due to crashing) it has to be done again.

Like any other change, it only holds if you finish the session it was applied in by quitting Vectorworks. If Vectorworks crashes before you've quit the setting will revert back to where it was the last time you quit.

Kevin

• Confused 1
On 9/21/2018 at 10:16 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

You can make the class/layer dropdown menus wider. With the menu extended, click and pull on the three dots in the bottom right hand corner and resize as needed.

Kevin

783349851_ScreenShot2018-09-21at7_14_27AM.thumb.png.986147d13ae568d6417c39cc02560ae2.png

EVERY time you open a drawing or start the program, it does NOT remeber the size.  What a waste of time and an added step.  I want my drafting to have fewer steps and be more streamlined.

15 minutes ago, MartinFahrer said:

EVERY time you open a drawing or start the program, it does NOT remeber the size.  What a waste of time and an added step.  I want my drafting to have fewer steps and be more streamlined.

The change in width I made to my Class dropdown in the OIP is still holding. Which dropdown are you resizing? Maybe its a Windows issue.

Kevin

48 minutes ago, MartinFahrer said:

What is OIP and mode bar?

The OIP is the Object Info Palette. You'll notice there are tooltips for some terms in the forum here. OIP is underlined and if you hold the mouse over it the tooltip will appear.

416686301_ScreenShot2018-10-11at9_40_45AM.thumb.png.0c75a98aebe0611878528f6ce8faf268.png

The mode bar is the area across the top of the VW drawing window. Its called that because you'll find the various "modes" for tools there.

49454752_ScreenShot2018-10-11at9_36_50AM.thumb.png.3fcb656aa59660c915e514fe598b1fbd.png

There are slightly different drop downs for Layers and Classes in each location.

Kevin

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The OIP is the Object Info Palette. You'll notice there are tooltips for some terms in the forum here. OIP is underlined and if you hold the mouse over it the tooltip will appear.

416686301_ScreenShot2018-10-11at9_40_45AM.thumb.png.0c75a98aebe0611878528f6ce8faf268.png

The mode bar is the area across the top of the VW drawing window. Its called that because you'll find the various "modes" for tools there.

49454752_ScreenShot2018-10-11at9_36_50AM.thumb.png.3fcb656aa59660c915e514fe598b1fbd.png

There are slightly different drop downs for Layers and Classes in each location.

Kevin

17 minutes ago, MartinFahrer said:

Ah Mode Bar.  To many Acronyms in  my life LOL.  I want to stretch it and have it stay stretched every time I open it.

It must be a Windows issue. VW remembers where I left it between sessions on a Mac. @Jim Wilson could you test stretching the mode bar Class dropdown size on a Windows machine. Does it hold the position you set between restarts?

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Those dropdowns retain their positions between restarts of Vectorworks for me. I am not sure f they are the same settings location as the docked palettes and other workspace prefs, but to test @MartinFahrer, please launch Vectorworks 2019 (I wasnt aware of this as an issue from SP0, but I am on SP1, you should update as well if you havent already) then move the object info palette to the center of the screen, expand both of throse dropdowns to where you want them, then shut down Vectorworks normally. 

After launching Vectorworks again, do none of those changes stick, only the object info palette, or all of them?

Side note: If Vectorworks gives you any errors during shutdown, that can sometimes indicate preferences were not saved properly.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

Those dropdowns retain their positions between restarts of Vectorworks for me. I am not sure f they are the same settings location as the docked palettes and other workspace prefs, but to test @MartinFahrer, please launch Vectorworks 2019 (I wasnt aware of this as an issue from SP0, but I am on SP1, you should update as well if you havent already) then move the object info palette to the center of the screen, expand both of throse dropdowns to where you want them, then shut down Vectorworks normally. 

After launching Vectorworks again, do none of those changes stick, only the object info palette, or all of them?

Side note: If Vectorworks gives you any errors during shutdown, that can sometimes indicate preferences were not saved properly.

I just saw there was an update   I updated that and I am in the process of resetting the mode bar.  Not really interested in the OIP being open.  I either have to move to another screen to open it (Slows things down on a pen display) or clutter up my drawing screen.  I think I may have found the fix though.

I just did as you suggested and after the update to SP1 I am pleased to report IT WORKS!!!!!!! 😄    😄  😄

I'm very happy thank you!! 

2018-10-11 15.43.25.jpg

Edited by MartinFahrer
  • Like 2