Render Bitmap Blackout

Greggoid

Question

I often use render bitmaps to test render my lighting in parts of a view.  Lately, I can do one render bitmap in Final Quality or any other style other than open GL, but if I try to do another, It renders for 3-5 seconds then says rendering complete with a big black box. See attached screenshot.  Now, it will keep doing this unless I restart vectorworks.  Upon restart, I get one more bitmap, but then the problem persists.  As you can imagine, restarting constantly after making minor tweaks on things like lighting strength or glow settings really messes with one's workflow....

Help?

Thanks,

Gregg

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 9.02.45 AM.png

8 answers to this question

Thank you Jim, It does make me feel better to see this is happening not just to me.  I am in 2018, and we will probably update to 19' in a few months.  We usually wait till the first SP comes out before adopting company-wide.  Not overly excited to see jnr has experienced this in 19 as well...

I was sort of forced to migrate to 2019 because the screen redraw in 2018 was so crappy and slow that I was unable to work on a large project.  The "black window of death" as best I can tell is a fuction of how the software is using the graphics card. In 2019 if I do a bunch of rerendering of viewports (sections in particular) then go back to render a perspective with custom renderworks, it bombs out processing indirect lighting, then renders the scene, which of course is black. A 3GB graphics card and 64 mb of RAM should be enough to handle this.

In other news, while moving around (zooming, panning etc) has improved in 2019, sheet graphics have gone haywire in converted files.  Section viewports are particularly buggy.  Today's headlines are that even the design layers have now lost their mind (classes rotated, layers showing up where there are turned off, etc).  Saving, restarting vectorworks 5-6 times a day is BS. What I want to know is after years of this crap, why the company is still unable and I suspect, unwilling to change its business model to give the engineers time to kick the tires a lot harder before foisting this on us.  The hell bent race to push out the latest bling is not what the majority of users want. They are not listening. Post after post is a demand for STABILITY. Improve what's there but make sure it works.

UGH

• Like 3

Hi Jim,

To clarify - I didn't have this issue since 2016 - but the post you referenced in your message in this thread flagged the problem in 2016. I was trying to re-iterate a point in another post to this thread that issues seem not to be addressed in consecutive releases in favour of adding bells and whistles in the newest version.