Enhance break line tools

Ross Harris

Question

Can the break line tool be enhanced with an adjustable solid fill behind like the attached? The fill should have adjustable handles that can be used to make it cover extraneous line work without needing to fiddle in a dialog box.. like the detail callout tool.

Can the line break also have a definable lineweight in its options so it can be set? I usually give a thicker weight to stand out and having to change it everytime or copy is just another step.

This would be a small functional enhancement, yet big detailing time saver!

Break line.png

• Like 2

17 answers to this question

2 hours ago, BG said:

It would be good if the break line acted like any other line too, so you could trim or extend lines to it.

Here’s a few old wishlist items / threads requesting this, dating all the way back to 2004:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/40507-break-line-trim/

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/32415-trim-to-break-line/

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/11722-break-line-and-trim/

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, rDesign said:

2004, Wow, that's ridiculous. Some of these seemingly 'minor' improvements would make a big difference to the everyday use of the software.  I still would prefer the upgrading of functionality of all of the existing tools rather than adding new 'flashy' tools with each new VW release.

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:
18 hours ago, twk said:

As the website where it was held is non functional, can I share it here @Jim Wilson? Its an open source plugin I believe, but it isn't my plugin.

Sure thing, just try to attribute credit to the creator or original location if possible.

Ah yes. My old PanzerCAD Break Poly plug-in. 🙂

Download, unzip, and place in the Plug-ins folder in your Vectorworks user folder.

Restart Vectorworks.

Add it to a tool palette in your workspace (using the Workspace Editor) and you should be good to go.

What's nice about this PIO is that you can use the Reshape tool in "Show or hide Edges" mode to show/hide any number of segments.

PanzerCAD Break Poly 2009.zip

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing @Matt Panzer. Your one's a bit different to the one I was talking about.

Attached here (install as previously instructed by Matt in the previous post). It has a couple of useful parameters, shown in the video. If anyone knows the  dbelfm@sonic.net developer, please post his name here so he can be credited accordingly.

I can't remember where I got it from, i think it was from the time the VectorDepot was up and running. Was a great place to see plugins by other people. Vectorworks really needs one for their 3rd party plugins. We actually need one like Sketchups Extension Warehouse.

I mean the infrastructure is there isnt it? We've set one up for Marionette albeit it's through the forum. Would it be too much to set one up for the actual program? At the moment the library files in the Resource Browser are updated from an online repository, would be great if there was a system inside vectorworks where you could browse Vectorworks' official plugins and third party plugins and install them from some online repository (an official one). Making it easier to deploy plugins and encourage 3rd party developers to develop.

Breaker_v1.vso

Edited by twk
  • Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, twk said:

Thanks for sharing @Matt Panzer. Your one's a bit different to the one I was talking about.

Attached here (install as previously instructed by Matt in the previous post). It has a couple of useful parameters, shown in the video. If anyone knows the  dbelfm@sonic.net developer, please post his name here so he can be credited accordingly.

Ah! Very nice!

The author of that would be Dan Belfiori! I haven’t heard from him quite some time. I really like the interface of his. Simple and efficient for most needs. They both have their advantages. I often needed a more complex shape so I went the polygon route. To be honest, this was originally developed before I even knew control points could be added to PIOs. Perhaps they couldn’t back then. 🙂

4 hours ago, Patrick Fritsch said:

Matt you should sell VW that script for a millions bucks at least. I've been whining about the detailing tools for SO long now.

‘Now that sounds like a plan!  😛

I’m glad some of you still find this old PIO useful!

• Like 2

VincentC's post is spot on.

A mere 5 version-years ago.  Nothing.

We now have Matt"s wonderful Camera Match installed.

Why not his breakline poly tool and have it cut the objects?

Shouldn't be too hard.

Matt needs to be directing this stuff.  Give the man a raise and let him loose on all these tool tweaks so long requested.

At least put somebody on it...

Like, not being able to snap to or extend to  the break line or anything in a group (even though the curser recognizes them) is plain silly.

Rant over.  Carry on.

Edited by bc
  • Like 1