Project Sharing- Check out entire symbols

Justinwest1231

Question

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

With Project Sharing, you do not (and cannot) check out resources. Multiple users are allowed to change the same resource. The second user to commit will have to resolve the conflicts by either accepting their changes or accepting the other user's changes. You cannot merge the changes. As such, a transparent process must be put in place to coordinate the editing of resources.

Thank @Tolu , is there a reason that resources cannot be checked out and/or whether a symbol is not considered as an exception? As we use 2D/3D hybrid symbols extensively in our studio, we find that there are often conflicts between users working from different locations and remotely. I find the check-out feature to be extremely beneficial to the workflow of project sharing by reducing conflicts, but, this seems to be ineffective if you have to discard a certain amount of work done within a resource.

Right now, we avoid this by clicking into the 2D component, select all, check out. Then returning and clicking into the 3D component, select all, and checking out. It's not a streamlined process. 

Basically, I'm curious how the hierarchy of checking out is based in concept. If there is something that can be conflicted-- a symbol-- that has contents that can be checked out and edited, why not make the entire object able to be checked out to reduce the opportunity for error and streamline the workflow of the program? Rather than requiring users to have a transparent process alongside the program's workflow. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
24 minutes ago, Justinwest1231 said:

Right now, we avoid this by clicking into the 2D component, select all, check out. Then returning and clicking into the 3D component, select all, and checking out. It's not a streamlined process. 

Ah, I see the confusion.  Doing that accomplishes nothing. The "Check Out..." command will be ignored because the objects are inside a resource.

The "Check Out" and "Release" menu commands should be disabled while editing the geometry of resources, such as Tiles and Symbol definitions. We will make this improvement.

When I mentioned a "transparent process," I meant deciding who should modify the symbol definition and when.

3 minutes ago, Tolu said:

Doing that accomplishes nothing. The "Check Out..." command will be ignored because the objects are inside a resource.

Oh, interesting. Then, that furthers my point that a symbol should be able to be checked out, despite being a resource. We use 2D/3D hybrid symbols to create adequate 2D plans of all of our drafting, but the fact that any symbols on our plans can be easily conflicted is a detriment to the vwx project sharing workflow. 

I'd still emphasize the feature on the wishlist to make project sharing more efficient. What's the point of checking anything out when our entire groundplan is full of 2D/3D hybrid objects?

Thanks for the correspondence!