Create a vertical lighting position out of several lighting pipes

kittyn3

Question

Hello. I am trying to create a vertical box boom lighting position out of several pipes. I want the pipes to be one on top of the other when in 3D mode, but I want them to lay flat like a regular lighting plot would have them so you can see all of the instruments in a 2D version. Right now I have achieve that by drawing 2 sets of pipe in different layers so that you can turn off one or the other depending on how you want to look at it. By doing it this way though it makes duplicates on the Lightwright so you can't really share between the two pieces of software without deleting instruments on the Lightwright. I found something online that tells me how to do it with a lighting tree but it doesn't tell me how to do it with several vertical pipes. Can someone tell me if there is a better way to do this or is what I have done the best way.  I have Vectorworks 2016. Thank you for your time. 

Kat

5 answers to this question

So I've used the Create Plot and Model Views to create a couple vertical lighting ladders. But I'm a bit confused in regards to where vectorworks thinks the actual vertical fixtures are in real life.

My goal is to eventually use the GrandMA2 exporter plugin to get my 3D fixture locations in to my showfile. Since the Create Plot and Model View tools is just creating a viewport, when I export to MA2, won't the position information for my ladder fixtures be coming from the definition layer and thus be incorrect?

Am I missing something?

I know I am very late in responding, but curious what you ended up doing. I don't know the correct procedure or recommendation here. I had a similar situation. Ultimately, I finished the 2D plot so I could show data as desired for the crew. Then created a 2nd plot just for 3D export to MA, that placed lights in their actual location in terms of x, y, z.

I also work a lot with Rep plots-long story short my work flow is such that I cannot/do not place all fixtures on the same layer. Because of this I find using the Create Plot and Model view cumbersome, and ultimately unhelpful. However, anyone I ask about this tool says it is confusing and does not yield the results they desire.

On 4/14/2020 at 7:23 PM, S. Leathers said:

I know I am very late in responding, but curious what you ended up doing. I don't know the correct procedure or recommendation here. I had a similar situation. Ultimately, I finished the 2D plot so I could show data as desired for the crew. Then created a 2nd plot just for 3D export to MA, that placed lights in their actual location in terms of x, y, z.

I also work a lot with Rep plots-long story short my work flow is such that I cannot/do not place all fixtures on the same layer. Because of this I find using the Create Plot and Model view cumbersome, and ultimately unhelpful. However, anyone I ask about this tool says it is confusing and does not yield the results they desire.

Workflows have changed a bit going into v2020. The Create Plot and Model View function has now changed into Create Schematic views which allows you to have 2D representations of your non-horizontal 3D lighting positions. There are still some challenges with the Schematic Views (and hopefully some future improvements) but you can find a lot of conversation and tips regarding them on these forums.

At the end of the day, I'm doing my best to create all of my drawings fully in 3D. With a combination of 3D label legends and the possibly schematic views, it's still relatively easy to create clean plots for your crew while still keeping your drawing in 3D for export into pre-vis software.

Edited by Daniel Dickman