import image file--slows VW down

After importing a JPEG in VW11 the freehand drawing tool operates and saves really slowwwwly. However, if I do the same thing in VW 10 using 16 bit option everything works just fine. My work around is to first trace in VW10 and then past into VW11, which is more time consuming.

Is there a way to trim down an image file more than offered now?

I'm tracing with the freehand tool and scaling a lot of art objects for a museum case layout. I delete the object image after I finish hand tracing.

Markus Dohner

ARe you using the freehand tool to trace the image?

If so, there is an easier way to do this. You may want to research more about the Trace Bitmap menu. This allows you to import a specific type of image and let the program trace the contours for you.

It will save you worlds of time.

katie,

I have imported a sketch which was scanned and saved as a .bmp. When i try and use that trace bitmap command it just outlines the extents of the bmp with a rectangle.

could you explain what im doing wrong or do i have to do something with the scan before importing?

BTW this was the first i ever heard of this command......would save a load of time if i can get it to work.

Ta,

BAZ

VW9.5(for two more days)Win2K

I do a lot of tracing of jpeg images for waterjet cutting. When the image is too big it slows down the trace. Also, a poly line with lots of points slows things down. One work around is to draw several short polylines around the image and join them in sequence with the Dual Object Combine tool. If you assign different colors you can see whether the combine comand worked.

Another problem is that no matter which color polyline you are drawing, the rubberbanding is in grey while you draw. Tracing an object in a black and white image can be as hard finding your camo underwear in a stack of camp laundry. I guess I could change the image to a different duo tone with an image editor, but it would be cool to be able to control rubberbanding color.