Printing Coloured Classes as Black & White

naomi3

Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much for your update - that sounds like exactly what I also want to achieve. Sorry to ask, but could you please explain how you managed to achieve this & successfully play with class overrides? I can't seem to work it out.

I tried to play with class overrides when setting up a view port but the only thing I could change was the visibility as in on / off or greyed out. There is something in the organisation menu about class visabilities and overrides too, but it wasn't editable.

Thanks very much,

Naomi.

6 hours ago, naomi3 said:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much for your update - that sounds like exactly what I also want to achieve. Sorry to ask, but could you please explain how you managed to achieve this & successfully play with class overrides? I can't seem to work it out.

I tried to play with class overrides when setting up a view port but the only thing I could change was the visibility as in on / off or greyed out. There is something in the organisation menu about class visabilities and overrides too, but it wasn't editable.

Thanks very much,

Naomi.

No problem Naomi.  I made a video explanation for you that I hope will explain it a little better and attached the file for reference.  There is one pumpkin drawn on a design layer.  The video shows 4 different viewports arranged on a sheet layer displaying that pumpkin.  By clicking on the viewport, looking at the Obj Info pallet, and then clicking on the "classes" button in the Obj Info pallet, you will see your class control for the viewport you clicked on.  Clicking on the class here and editing it overrides the design layer behavior in the viewport, but not on the design layer.  I like my methodology in AutoCAD with plotstyles better, but this will make Vectorworks behave in a similar fashion.  Note, transparency works too, which is essential to my architectural diagrams.  The fact that we can apply patterns or textures using class overrides is actually a pretty powerful feature for diagrams now that I think about it.  Please know I am a beginner at Vectorworks and just discovered this workflow from this thread and experimentation.  There may be unintended consequences or better ways to do it.

Halloween.vwx

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, herbieherb said:

In the same window where you change the class visibilities you can double click on the class. Then you can change any class settings for this viewport. You can also change more than one class by selecting them and hit the edit... button

You are my hero with that little tip on picking multiples classes and hitting edit!  I did it all class by class on the example I posted the other day.  Thanks for sharing this great time saver.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Jumping into this a few years later. I'm looking to do a similar thing for my office. We like to draw with colours to visualise the class in which we are drawing, however most of the classes will be plotted in black, sometimes with just one or two classes in colour.

I'm considering using data visualisation to achieve this. The attributes panel will display the intended plot finish by class, however the colour on the design layers can be controlled with a data visualisation. 

Has anyone tried this before or does anyone see any issues with this? 

Thank you!

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 10.15.00.png