3d Label Legend

Really happy this finally got a 2.0 bump, certainly getting there! I did find some odd things, anyone else found these same issues?

- When using a 3D label created in previous versions I am not able to change position of any of the fields assigned previously, actually I don't even see the field in the 3d Layout, only the container. I guess this is because of the feature improvement? 

- Is there anyway of not seeing the lines from the insertion point to each label? If not, should I generate a Wishlist post?

- The assign 3D location in the ASSIGN LEGEN PROPERTIES menu is not working for me. The 3D flipping

- In the 3D layout containers don't move with the actual text field.

- It look like the positioning of each field is not absolute and interacts with the position of the rest of the fields, so if you move one ,01m it will move depending on everything else in the 3D layout, am I right?

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Your 3d Label legends are assigned to a class in Spotlight Preferences. This is by default Lighting-Label-3D. If you change the pen settings for that class to None, then the line and the container will not show. 

I have found that this only works if the Instrument the Label Legend is attached to is set to Use Class Style in the Attributes palette.

I hope that works for you.

2 minutes ago, markdd said:

Your 3d Label legends are assigned to a class in Spotlight Preferences. This is by default Lighting-Label-3D. If you change the pen settings for that class to None, then the line and the container will not show. 

Yes that is true, but I only want the horrible lines to disappear, not the container...

• 2 months later...

So months after release of vwx 19 i finally have some time to renew my 3d Labels with the new functions..

-In my label i do not use containers, but just fields. I found that when I group the field in the 3d Layout that I can then move all 3d fields at once. However at a certain point the leader lines jump into a random direction. See attached image

I tried setting the class pen color to none as described in this topic, but it doesn't work. The leader lines stay, also when I do use containers.

-Also I can no longer move the label legends by using right click-> assign label legend properties to selected. This only works when use single label is checked, however you then lose your layout. 

-There used to be a function to use 2d containers in your 3d label. In VW18 I used to concatenate fields and then use this function to create really neat 3d Labels. This is now not possibles anymore.

-When the text fields are not grouped in my layout i then get 5 separate fields in 3d with 5 different leader lines. Why? Who would want so many leader lines going across the place.

@markdd do you see any workarounds to my issues? I'am a bit sad, since numbering improved so much, but what I liked about 3d labels is now broken. However if only those leader lines would work properly in the grouped fields it would be great again. Still at the same time I think spotlight labels should work as data tags both in 2d and 3d. 

If you set the pen setting in the label Class to None, then you can make the leader lines invisible.

I didn't know that you could group the labels. It appears this can be done in 2D and 3D . However it appears that you can have only one group in each view. This is either a quiet new improvement or I have been unaware of the function all these years! This means that you can group channel/address/and other control info together etc....

Screenshot 2019-03-06 at 17.27.27.png

19 hours ago, markdd said:

If you set the pen setting in the label Class to None, then you can make the leader lines invisible.

I didn't know that you could group the labels. It appears this can be done in 2D and 3D . However it appears that you can have only one group in each view. This is either a quiet new improvement or I have been unaware of the function all these years! This means that you can group channel/address/and other control info together etc....

Screen Recording 2019-03-06 at 17.21.54.mov

Hey Mark,

I am pretty sure that being able to group the fields is new. I'am sure that i have tried this before in my quest for 1 handle movement of labels. 

I just can still not find how i can make the leader lines dissapear. I have set pen setting in all label classes to none but they remain present. I attached a test file can you see what's wrong?

Label Legends 2019.vwx

OK

I loaded your light and your label legend into a clean file as I think your file was corrupt in some sort of way. I found this yesterday when experimenting with groups in Label legends. If you try more than one group per view, then the label legend functionality goes a bit haywire. I wonder if we have stumbled upon a tiny bit of functionality that's not quite ready yet....

Anyway. It seems the rules are as follows:

When you group your text fields; if any class associated with a label field has a pen setting of anything other than None, then a witness line will appear.

If you want the labels to show colour, then set the pen colours as per your requirements and then turn the pen type to None. This effectively allows the Foreground colour to be shown on objects that don't use pens.

I've uploaded the file.

I sense that one of your holy grails is to have Universe and address side by side. Would you not consider using the data tag for things like that. I think the way data tags have been designed is very clever and I feel sure that that functionality will come to label legends very soon.

Label Legends.vwx

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, markdd said:

OK

I loaded your light and your label legend into a clean file as I think your file was corrupt in some sort of way. I found this yesterday when experimenting with groups in Label legends. If you try more than one group per view, then the label legend functionality goes a bit haywire. I wonder if we have stumbled upon a tiny bit of functionality that's not quite ready yet....

Anyway. It seems the rules are as follows:

When you group your text fields; if any class associated with a label field has a pen setting of anything other than None, then a witness line will appear.

If you want the labels to show colour, then set the pen colours as per your requirements and then turn the pen type to None. This effectively allows the Foreground colour to be shown on objects that don't use pens.

I've uploaded the file.

I sense that one of your holy grails is to have Universe and address side by side. Would you not consider using the data tag for things like that. I think the way data tags have been designed is very clever and I feel sure that that functionality will come to label legends very soon.

Label Legends.vwx

Thanks, wil now try to make your legend work in my layout.

I do use data tags for spotlight labeling, I love the way they work too! But I didn't now I could use them in a front view also. How did you do that?

Edit: Already found out just add them when in front view.

Edited by Sebastiaan