What is the Set Up Best Procedure for 2019

Just installed VW Architect 2019. We have had VW since 2003. A new file created in 2014 became our template with all classes and layers set out and has been used since then for every project and converted into the next upgrade every year. Now what is the best procedure? Convert this template to 2019? Or make a new 2019 file and import the classes and layers from the old template file? Or start again with a new 2019 file and set up a new list of classes and layers?

I don't want to reduce VW 2019's performance. Perhaps a new file would get rid of any unknown bugs.

Perhaps its time for a fresh start. 

I don't have the Architect Licence, but I know that some updated tools seem to be more stable if used from a clean file. There is an updated tool in Spotlight that certainly works better in a clean 2019 file.

This is purely anecdotal, but a Tech Support person from VWX once informed me that he could see that I had resources that "originated in much older versions of the program and that these might be the cause of various problems I was having." This has obviously been a source of concern at some time or another.

I would suggest that you import layer and class settings and then spend some time re-doing any of the other settings. At least if/when bugs occur you will be confident that you aren't compounding old problems.

However, I am sure there will be technical, computer science-based answers later that might shed more light on your question!

It would be impossible to remake most resources such as symbols. However, it is worth spending time reviewing your resource files and tidying up/deleting old symbols, linetypes, hatches etc to bring them up to date with the way you currently work. It’s surprising  how much clutter accumulates. I find it really helpful to look again at symbols I’ve been using for ages and how I might make them better/more efficient. 

All our CAD  skills are evolving and it’s good to look through old stuff once in a while. I find that long train journeys are very good for this kind of thing!

13 hours ago, JMR said:

What about accumulated simple 2d symbols? Can these be imported to a new version without any issues? 

It's a mighty job to redraw all these.

From what I see (and from what we have experienced in the past), the main gain is to have a new file, not a converted one.

As importing should only import what is really needed, really old (potentially buggy) stuff is kept in the old file and not imported. Of course, as always, your mileage may vary.

Edited by Nicolas Goutte
  • Like 1
On 9/19/2018 at 8:01 PM, Nicolas Goutte said:

I would recommend that you would take the time to re-create the template from scratch

Totally agree with this. I worked at an archicad practice before going out on my own - they had massive problems with speed and crashing and calling/emailing cadimage for help. When I was deciding which platform to invest in I sat down with cadimage during the course of the discussion, and they rolled their eyes and pointed to the ancient template they used that had been upgraded through many versions and had told them many times to redo it because archicads database had gone through so many changes.... they also had a bizarre policy of skipping a version - so as well as subjecting the template to a bigger translation to a new format, their trading slipped and they were so backward in how they used it.

Even though that story isn’t VW, the advise i think is fairly universal - keep the template lean and do a new one every few versions, keeping symbols in dedicated library files.

The "Best Practice" that is baked-in to Vwx is to keep all resources OUT of the template file and access them either from favourites files; using the workgroup function of the Resource Manager or by adding them to the User Library folders that are created when the program is installed. That way you will always have clean templates for every new version of the software. All the templates will store is class and layer structures, document preferences and basic geometry that you ALWAYS use. That way you can mitigate problems as you will only be bringing in resources when you need them. It also keeps the file size down to only what you need.

1 hour ago, markdd said:

The "Best Practice" that is baked-in to Vwx is to keep all resources OUT of the template file and access them either from favourites files; using the workgroup function of the Resource Manager or by adding them to the User Library folders that are created when the program is installed.

I would find this difficult as one of the main advantages of my templates is the class structure complete with custom hatches, textures, lines types, textures etc.

Other resources like symbols, wall styles, are easy to import from a library.

3 minutes ago, Boh said:

I would find this difficult as one of the main advantages of my templates is the class structure complete with custom hatches, textures, lines types, textures etc.

Obviously, if you have linetypes, hatches etc. set up as part of your class structure, then they will need to be in the template. I suppose my point is that one should try and keep the template as empty as possible.....

• Like 1