Mac Incompatibility

Steverf

I have been using what used to be Graphsofts Blueprint since it came out decades ago. I have migrated to Minicad and now Vectorworks. I am not only frustrated with the glitches and crashes I have but also with the amount of complaints from others all relating the same issues. Are we as Mac users a subset here? After all the company started out made for the Mac platform. Everyone i  know who uses Vectorworks is always grumbling about all the Mac issues. Some are moving over to more stable  programs. I just upgraded to 1018 from 2016 and its just as bad. I received email touting the arrival of 2019 and am confused by the discription of the new release. it seems to spell out more features that will not be there than any new features. On top of that others here on the board have stated that employees from Nemetchek have stated not to load or use it yet. So in short Nemetchek what the hell is going on. You have a considerable amount of unhappy clients. Unhappy clients  equal less revenue!!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 minutes ago, markdd said:

Could you take a look at mine as well as I have had a lot of crashes with this new release

Nothing wrong there, however I've now had 3 Mac Pro users come to me with random crashing issues, let me track down one of those models here and see what I can make of it.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Steverf said:

On top of that others here on the board have stated that employees from Nemetchek have stated not to load or use it yet.

Is this in reference to Mojave? If so, this is correct, there were incompatibilities with the beta macOS that led us to warn against it for the time being until we can make it compatible. 

Are we as Mac users a subset here? After all the company started out made for the Mac platform. Everyone i  know who uses Vectorworks is always grumbling about all the Mac issues.

Mac users represent over half (last I checked it was 60-70% of our user base globally, but I haven't checked that specifically in the last year or so) of our users, we certainly don't devote fewer resources that lead to these issues, compatibility problems just crop up more often on the Mac side in general. Microsoft very rarely changes anything in their OS to affect backwards compatibility, but Apple does it frequently and sometimes even in the later seeds of the beta builds.

4 minutes ago, Steverf said:

Thanks Jim I dont know if you have had a moment to look at my system. When you do please let me know. Perhaps I do have an Etch a Sketch Mac and trying to make a DaVinci! from iy

steve

It's at the lower end of our system requirements, however if you could message me one of your average files I can take a look and see if hardware is what is affecting performance in your case or not.

17 hours ago, Steverf said:

Jumping ahead can you recommend an I mac setup that is much better than what i have but doesn't break the bank

If Renderworks rendering is what you're after at the moment, and you have your eye on an iMac, the top end 21" model or the low and midrange 27 inch models should work quite well. Their GPUs are fine for this kind of work and should hold up for a good while. I would recommend bumping them up to 16GB of RAM however rather than the default 8.

Jim would you look at my computer profile should i upgrade

iMac.spx

This was my reply to that question: If Renderworks rendering is what you're after at the moment, and you have your eye on an iMac, the top end 21" model or the low and midrange 27 inch models should work quite well. Their GPUs are fine for this kind of work and should hold up for a good while. I would recommend bumping them up to 16GB of RAM however rather than the default 8.

However, whether to do an upgrade or not right now is up to you. I want to note though; it's been awhile since Apple updated their iMac line and if you can wait a additional few months, theres a chance that you would get better hardware for your money.

• Like 1