Can't extract image from existing RW texture

line-weight

Question

Am I doing something stupid?

I want to edit the image used for a shader in an existing Renderworks texture. To do this I need to extract the image file so I can make adjustments to it in an image editor.

If I right-click on the RW texture in the resource browser it offers me 'extract images'. But when I do this all I get is two transparent (ie empty) .png files.

7 answers to this question

Yeah, that little maneuver was always a bit arcane to me as well. Maybe call tech support and see if they can shed light on it.

In the meantime, what I have done to facilitate what you wish to do, is to :

1) just make a rectangle, square etc convert it to a 3d Poly. Make sure you are in a top/plan or top view when you draw the shape.

2) apply that texture you want to edit

3) put it in top plan or top view and render it in open GL

4) then in file menu select 'export image file' and choose the 'Marquee' option and draw the Marquee.

fill in the dialogue box as needed and make sure the dpi is plenty high.  Then obviously open the file in photoshop or some image editor and tweak as needed,

You may have to mess with the settings a bit but I have had great success with this method.  It actually goes pretty quick once you get the sequence down.

I too would be interested if you find out how to actually use the 'extract image' tool. There should/must be an easier way.

24 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

Yeah, that little maneuver was always a bit arcane to me as well. Maybe call tech support and see if they can shed light on it.

In the meantime, what I have done to facilitate what you wish to do, is to :

1) just make a rectangle, square etc convert it to a 3d Poly. Make sure you are in a top/plan or top view when you draw the shape.

2) apply that texture you want to edit

3) put it in top plan or top view and render it in open GL

4) then in file menu select 'export image file' and choose the 'Marquee' option and draw the Marquee.

fill in the dialogue box as needed and make sure the dpi is plenty high.  Then obviously open the file in photoshop or some image editor and tweak as needed,

You may have to mess with the settings a bit but I have had great success with this method.  It actually goes pretty quick once you get the sequence down.

I too would be interested if you find out how to actually use the 'extract image' tool. There should/must be an easier way.

ok. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

Seems to me that the logical thing would be for all images used in textures etc to exist in the resource browser, rather than having to be extracted.

What would be really nice would be to be able to go direct from the edit textures dialogue into an image editor, do what you want to the image, and have the software import the edited image back in to the texture for you. Going back and forth between VW and image editors, and all the multitude of buttons and tick boxes that have to be navigated to re-import edited images, is one of the most tedious parts of using renderworks.

8 minutes ago, line-weight said:

What would be really nice would be to be able to go direct from the edit textures dialogue into an image editor, do what you want to the image, and have the software import the edited image back in to the texture for you. Going back and forth between VW and image editors, and all the multitude of buttons and tick boxes that have to be navigated to re-import edited images, is one of the most tedious parts of using renderworks.

Agreed.... Upvote this topic: