Toolset picture files.

Hi,

In 2018 I remade my custom workspace based on the Spotlight workspace. I have a lot of custom tools, shortcuts and menus. Now in 2019 there are new toolsets such as rigging and event design. 

I altered my workspace to have the same layout for the toolsets. However I would also like to have the same toolset pictures in my workspace. They seem to be hidden in the program so I cannot find them. And using a screenshot makes for a very blurry image. 

Would it be possible to make these toolset images available to those of us with custom workspaces? 

Sebastiaan

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Mac is different from Windows. 

NOTE: The following procedure can corrupt Vectorworks if you do it incorrectly. Proceed at your own risk.

The Vectorworks app is a "package" file. Right click the Vectorworks App icon and choose "Show Package Contents". Vectorworks will open up a folder showing its contents. Warning: You do not want to change anything in this folder. Open up the Resources folder, and there will be a file (a big one) called Vectorworks.vwr. Option-drag a copy of this file to your desktop and close the Vectorworks App package window (whew!)

Change the name of the desktop "Vectorworks.VWR" file to "Vectorworks.ZIP". It will turn into a folder. Open this folder up and have at it. Unless I miss my guess, the stuff you're looking for is in the subfolder /Images/Tools/. 

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I took a look at the workspace (.VWW) files. It looks like all the toolset icons are directly stored as base64-encoded ASCII. It's been quite a while since I played with base64 encoding.  I copied and pasted some of the encoded text and used the MacOS Terminal command line to convert to an icon. Here's my result 🙂 :icon.png

It looks like my icon has been hit by Hurricane Florence. 

Anyway, the raw data is all there, and it's a single line in the Terminal editor to convert a base64 file. If you have all of it, that is. For more on this, see:

https://drewsymo.com/2016/05/09/simple-base64-encode-decode-on-mac-osx-linux-with-openssl/

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, Robert Anderson said:

I took a look at the workspace (.VWW) files. It looks like all the toolset icons are directly stored as base64-encoded ASCII. It's been quite a while since I played with base64 encoding.  I copied and pasted some of the encoded text and used the MacOS Terminal command line to convert to an icon. Here's my result 🙂 :icon.png

It looks like my icon has been hit by Hurricane Florence. 

Anyway, the raw data is all there, and it's a single line in the Terminal editor to convert a base64 file. If you have all of it, that is. For more on this, see:

https://drewsymo.com/2016/05/09/simple-base64-encode-decode-on-mac-osx-linux-with-openssl/

Hey this is working! didn't use terminal but found a online tool that decodes and give the pic as download http://base64online.org/decode/#

Both the low res as the retina picture are present in the code. 

Learned something new and have what I want, thank you very much!

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Adding 2 more to@Juliensvzip, from the Architect-BIM workspace.

Some localised VW version are distributed with customised ToolSet icons (rather ugly in my opinion, @zeno do you know why?!), something that should be really deprecated by Vectorworks Inc. since it just adds visual clutter and inconsistency between software and help/tutorials/etc and between international and local versions.

ViewEdit.png.68d89a38ab09283d6667be1b16aefc60.png

ViewEdit@2X.png.385869addaa37a582b7515ac0203429f.png

Edit.png.6b8fa8d51a3d60c15326e64c713994d0.png

Edit@2X.png.59a1dfb0b44be55879a413a6ee2b6cf9.png

• Like 1