2019 Crash

chris cox

Question

I worked very closely with Tech Support and got the issue resolved. Contact them and be very patient as it can be a multiple reasons - such as how you are creating viewports to a setting. They will get you taken care of! I have had maybe one or two crashes since they have got me going.. Thanks to their patients to dealing with me on this - LOL- as I am sure they were ready to strangle me..

• Like 1

Thank you Chris! I did just that and it worked fine. The tech guy who helped me said that an old file I've been copying over from project to project was corrupted and unless I was starting from a fresh template for every new piece of work or new project I'd have the same problem reoccurring... he was not wrong! 

VW2019 crashes all the time now.... typing text, dimensions, roof changes, looking at it... I'd avoid upgrading if you can wait. I'm assuming that the folks at Nemetschek have changed the requirements again for my unupgradble video card (why doesn't installer check this and say hey dont do this?) that I have to go buy a new laptop again like I did in 2017 to run VW 2017 to do the same thing I was doing last month in 2018 without problems... grrr days and days lost of work.

VW 2019 SP3 on MacBookPro MacOS 10.14.3 (these are the latest updates) with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 (apple says latest drivers are installed with OS updates)

My macbook does meet the requirements as listed on VW website... so not sure what's wrong will unplug 2nd monitor I guess.

Edited by Richard Finnegan
more info

I have got lots of same type crashes like the others. VW just turns off absolutely randomly or usually it happens when I look for some class in Object Info Palette , typing few letters in search box, it will usually result in crash.

It happens several times a day and drives me crazy.  I am using brand new PC of decent spec all drivers are up to date.

I have attached DxDiag file and example of screenshot from Windows Events Log for a reference. Any advice would be much appreciated.

DxDiag.txt

crash1.jpg

7 hours ago, Richard Finnegan said:

Unplugging my 2nd monitor has removed all crashes - presumably there is a video card issue with my setup.... Try working with one monitor and see if the problem goes away...VW increases Video card requirements all the time and I find i need a new computer now to keep up.

Good point I will try to work with only one screen.

Thing is, I have built that computer just 2 months ago specifically for VW. Graphic card is 1080 TI capable to manage 4 screens easily, I have got only two...

• Administrator

@GregBall good in your DXDiag. Is this happening in all files, could you check for a special characters/emoji in your class naming. One more thing, could you turn on Error reporting in the Vectorworks preferences (Tools>Options>Vectorworks Preferences>Session> Error reporting), doing so will help us tons to know more about what could be causing the issue.

thanks,

JuanP thank you for looking at my case. I have turned error reporting on. Will check on naming of classes in my projects. 

Yes I confirm it happens on all projects. Saying that, yesterday I used only one screen all day long as suggested by @Richard Finnegan and had no crashes at all, which is quite unusual. However this is reducing my productivity a lot,  so I can not imagine it as a long term solution. Will keep on testing it with various project to be sure if an extra screen is a case.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Gaidal_Cain It looks like your graphics card is below the minimum recommendations for Vectorworks 2019. We recommend a dedicated graphics card with at least 1GB of dedicated VRAM. Your machine only has an integrated graphics card with shared VRAM. Do you have another machine you could try using VW on?