Creating a paper lantern glow... HELP!

sjordan_

Hello all,

I have been using Vectorworks for a while now but cannot seem to figure out how to create a paper-like material for a point light to shine through with a nice glow?

I'm currently messing around with the texture, but any help would be very much appreciated! 

🙂

Thank you

Sam 

Good responses thus far, however, the question needs to be raised as to what it is you are hoping to accomplish. If this is just for rendering purposes you would probably best be served by creating a texture that approximates the effect you want by using both image and reflectivity. Set reflectivity to “Glow” and then you can have the lantern emit light or not depending on your need for rendering speed vs realism.  

• Like 1

Just so summarize, you have three options:

- Use an image from your research. Set the reflectivity to Glow but not emit light. This will make the texture evenly lit and ignore the scene lighting. (This is the default setting for image props). Turn off receive shadows. This is going to be your fastest and most predictable option. 

- Have glow reflectivity emit light. This will make the lantern cast light on the scene in Renderworks. You must have your lighting settings to use at least one bounce. This will combine control and realism. 

- Set the reflectivity to Backlit and insert a point source in the lantern. This is the only scenario where you need an actual render light. This will give you more of a simulation than the other options. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Brandon Wardell said:

The option I mentioned also uses a render light, but this is a good summary. I personally find glow textures less helpful for renderings that utilize stage lighting. 

Brandon,

I am curious as to why you think that. Not critical, just curious. I do like learning new things and gathering better practices. I use glow textures quite a lot in my presentations beyond the typical video display options. Pretty much anytime I am backlighting something, that is how I do it. 

1 minute ago, scottmoore said:

I am curious as to why you think that. Not critical, just curious. I do like learning new things and gathering better practices. I use glow textures quite a lot in my presentations beyond the typical video display options. Pretty much anytime I am backlighting something, that is how I do it. 

It really depends on what stage I'm at in the design process (presuming lighting design as opposed to scenic).  If I'm in the initial phases I might use a glow texture, but I really prefer the ability to control light output from the Visualization Palette.  The one place I almost always use glow is for a back-lit cyc, and even that's problematic.  If there's room I'll fudge the distance and front light it.