Slower Screen Redraw in 2019 - Seating Sections

WesR

Question

10 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 minutes ago, WesR said:

Panning on sheet layers is definitely faster in 2019 but switching between sheet layers now takes a very long time on my machine. Here's a comparison:

Do you happen to see this same slowness switching between any sheet layers, or only on the viewports that contain seating layouts/sections? (if you have any, that is)

1 hour ago, Jim Wilson said:

Do you happen to see this same slowness switching between any sheet layers, or only on the viewports that contain seating layouts/sections? (if you have any, that is)

It appears to be an issue with seating sections. I tried another project with similar complexity but with seats as symbols rather than seating sections and it switched between sheet layers nice and quick.

Just now, WesR said:

It appears to be an issue with seating sections. I tried another project with similar complexity but with seats as symbols rather than seating sections and it switched between sheet layers nice and quick.

Excellent, thank you for confirming. I have some files with significant seating layouts in them I can test and file a performance bug on for this with.

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

I have some files with significant seating layouts in them I can test and file a performance bug on for this with.

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

I get that a lot with seating layouts. Hadn’t realised it was a possible bug as even PDFs generated from the same sheet layer as the seating section takes a while to load. 

Seating sections have always been slower than just using symbols but this is far worse than it used to be. Just to clarify... the video I linked shows the same action happening simultaneously. In VW18 it takes 7 seconds to switch from one sheet layer to the next and draw all the seats while in VW19 it takes 17 seconds.

Well, in poking harder at this I think I found the problem. The geometry we are generating inside seating sections is incredibly inefficient. The stock chair symbol, when ungrouped and decomposed, is over 450 vertices. When I manually edit the symbol and add three simple rectangles for the backrest and arms, and a rounded rectangle for the seat, the speed is right back to where it should be. He's out today, but I'll meet with the spotlight features manager to discuss this on Monday.

EDIT: Also split this out into its own thread for easier tracking

• Love 1

Ok, wow... You're right. This has been a major pain point of mine for quite a while now but it never occurred to me to look at the symbol itself. This would explain why seating sections always seemed to perform better in 3D than in 2D. Anyway, like you I greatly simplified the stock seating symbol and now that same sheet layer only takes around a second to draw. More importantly the PDFs that I'm sending to clients are now a bit smaller and take a fraction of the time to load.

Thanks, Jim!

• Like 1

Flash: In a quick check of the 2019 Event Tables I find the 'table cloth' changed from cloth-with-fullness in previous versions, to simple extrudes—OTG!!

Don't know when that changed tho, as I haven't used those resources in years, have been building what I need till now.

Edited by mjm