Unit Precision when dimensioning

tgm

Here?s a dimensioning problem I have always had with VW11 and I can?t seem to find a good answer to it.

I have drawn a rectangle with dimensions of 2.803? x 3.445?. I set units to Inches, rounding to nearest 1/64 and dimensions appear on screen as 2 ?? x 3 ??. It makes no difference what I set the rounding to the dimensions always appear as above. If I set the rounding to Fractional/Decimal mix the dimensions do not change. When I have precision set to 1/64?, which should give me another dimension, and I go to the OIP, the dimension precision is 1/8? even though I set it for General Display precision of 1/64?, which means I have to edit each dimension for precision. Is this right??

The Fractional/Decimal mix does not work at all in this case as I should be getting decimal readings on both dimensions, even with rounding set to 1/64?and .001.

I have just re-read the manual section on setting Units and dimensioning and it?s of no help at all.

I want to get the Fractional / Decimal mix to work in this example to eliminate accumulation of error when dimensioning.

Any help out there???

Tom in PA

while we are at it, and you are in the units dialog box, set secondary dimension that is different than primary dimensions.

In my case I set my units for

general display to mm (.1)

Dimensioning (Primary) to mm (1)

Dimensioning (Secondary) to meters (.005)

then i have a dimension standard for dimensioning building sites that uses only the secondary dimension standard, and the dimensions are in meters....

Why can I not use the Fractional / Decimal mode?? I have a part that is dimensioned that can use both as the dialog box notes.

Why does it not work?? If not used for dimensioning, as it is greyed out on selection of primary and secondary dimensions, where is this applicable??

I am still confused..........not that this is uncommon lately.......

Tom in PA

Ray,

Looking at the manual on page 2-26, it notes that the selected unit measurement is applied globally throughout the drawing including dimensions.On page 2-27 it notes the use of the Dimension Object, Primary and Secondary for dual dimensioning where tolerances of both dimensions can be set.

Now I am really confused........

Tom in PA

Ray,

Forget the manual. I?ll tell you a simple way how to make it work.

Open the Units dialog box;

set the units for general display to suit working. I usually use smaller fractions than I would dimension.

Set the Dimensioning (Primary) to the fractions that you want to dimension. This is a global setting and will apply to all dimension standards (unless you make a custom dimension standard to use Dimensioning (secondary)).

Set the Dimensioning (Secondary) to units that you use once in a while. Then you can set up a dual dimension standard that only uses the secondary dimensions.

Does this help? Would you like pictures?

Thanks Jonathan,

This is Tom not Ray. Ray appears to know what he is doing, unlike me, Tom.

Thanks for the clarification but what about the Fractional / Decimal mode option??

How can this be used?? I have applications where this could be useful to me.

I try to forgo the manual until I get stumped and then I refer to it. Hey it was written by persons unknown a lot more versed in VW than myself.

Thanks again,

I'll try your suggestions.

Tom in PA

I have a question about this. I have set my Units dialog box to "Display exact fractional value to: No Fractions" and the Round non-exact fractions to: 1". I draw a line that is 1'-0 1/4" long. When I dimension that line it shows the exact dimension not 1'-0". In the OIP it show my Prec. to be 1/8". If I change the OIP to "No Fractions" it then displays the way I want it, 1'-0" even though the line is 1'-0 1/4". Why is the default not globally set to "No Fractions" by setting the Units dialog to "No Fractions"?

Larry

Jonathan,

When I go to Dimension Object(Primary) the only choice you can make is Fractional Rounding ,all other selections are are greyed out. I am trying to understand the Fractional / Decimal Mix selection. It sounds as if the dimensions are displayed as exact fractions within the rounding tolerance and displayed as decimals when not exact fractions. If this is the way the tool is supposed to work, it doesn't or I still don't know what I am doing. When I select Dim Object(Primary) why can't I select the decimal option??

Tom in PA

quote:

Originally posted by tgm:

Jonathan,

When I go to Dimension Object(Primary) the only choice you can make is Fractional Rounding ,all other selections are are greyed out.

Hi Tom,

The General Display defines the choices you have in the Dimension settings.

Whatever you have chosen there (frac/dec), will be what you get in Primary Dims. You will only have a choice for dec/frac in Secondary Dims.

I don't know what the rationale for this is.

HTH,

N.

[ 11-29-2004, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

quote:

Originally posted by tgm:

Nicholas,

Note second post at atop of page from Ray where he states that General Display does not control dimension settings(precision).

Well that's right; it does not control the numerical precision but it does control the type of precision.

Change the General Display to different units and dec/frac types and then go to the Dimension display and see what happens.

If I put dimensions in as you describe, the correct resolution displays for me (to 1/64).

BTW, changing the dispay resolution will not update existing dimensions, only those made afterwards. -Nuisance!

N.