Stair Tool - Pain Points

PVA - Admin

I'm new to the stair tool. I've been trying to use it in landmark for external steps.

If the tool can only offer basic functionality in terms of two elevations and calculating riser heights and tread depths, please can you add a feature that allows you to calculate a fall across each tread. 

If it could be all singing and dancing, it would be great if you could specify tread make up a bit like a slab, and risers as a wall, so you can put a section through and get the construction...

• Like 2

Here is a link to 3rd party stair parts using Vectorworks to create.

Being a residential home designer/estimator, these parts are just what the doctor ordered.

We should already have these.

Current limitations of what is given us for options is conceptual at best.

Should have Custom Tab for adding or selecting railing profiles.

https://www.newenglandstairworks.com/cad-models/

taoist

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 9:40 PM, zoomer said:

And of course things like Fire Stairs or Industrial Stairs on Oil Platforms that span

more than one Story, as a single controlled Object would be nice.

This is one of the things I'm missing the most, especially because these structures can have unequal level spacing that needs to be accomodated for. The old custom stair tool did reasonable with eqally spaced levels but none of the stair tools so far can handle unequal level spacing, plus that after some height it just breaks down. E.g. some structures are 40m high or have space restrictions (e.g steep stair needed) and have/need a single stair with multiple landings etc. which is currently really cumbersome to get it right within the requirements that are specified. (i.e. maximum number of treads, maximum rise, minimum/maximum angle etc., levels etc.)

It would be really nice if I could define the parameters (run/rise, levels, min/max numbers for treads etc.) and then specify the starting, intermediate and ending levels and the stair tool would then calculate the optimal stair (e.g. after every 12 treads but no less than 5 treads for any flight there should be a landing, or after every x meters up in height there should be a landing etc. to get a more uniform sequence of flights instead of having to go by trial and error and then redo the whole mess when levels change.)

• Like 2
On 11/23/2018 at 1:15 AM, Diego-Resuelvectorworks said:

Just to add someting to the pot... 
This kind flexibility is what we need.

I totally agree with this, if it can handle multiple unequal levels as well then this would solve quite a few of my issues with the stair tool.

Edited by Art V
  • Like 2

We also need a way to manipulate the walking line. This is the walking line in Switzerland. It's very different from what the current staircase tool does.

grafik.thumb.png.86ae1c9105144ab9949c74b268f2ab30.png

It would also be very nice to have the sound insulation inserts and the plastered bottom view as a separate geometry inside the stair-tool.

This is the level of detail, we draw our stairs:

grafik.thumb.png.d8a8a4e5d699f8e963d293cc09bc14ba.pnggrafik.thumb.png.7bbccf0bab51ca72d227b00f979a8cde.pnggrafik.thumb.png.055c00ede979a65e939416bdd770e401.pnggrafik.thumb.png.91a18428bba11a9238b57293c459c10b.png

It's no Clip-View. It's actually just a normal OpenGL view of the stair i copied into a new file without walls and floors. It's modeled without the stair tool. The red object around the stair is the sound insulation, not the clipped sides of clip-view.

Edited by herbieherb
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Stairs can be very complex items,  I would be happy even if I model my stairs  then tell Vectorworks that this is a stair object and have it show up on the first floor and second floor the same way the stair tool does it now, and have control over how it displays on the first floor and second floor.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Great posts, interesting to see what we are struggling with. This may have already been covered, but one thing that consistently drives me crazy (I have not yet upgraded to 2024, maybe it's fixed??) is the inability to dash the handrails with the rest of the stair. So the stair above or below the cut line basically should always be shown as dashed, yet this is never a default setting, and then when you show the dashed stair below or above cut line, the railing is solid instead of dashed. Making the handrail tool utterly useless.

The stair tool has so much promise but at the same time it has both too many and not enough features...

Edited by Raja
doubled comment
  • Like 2