Vectorworks 2019 Feature Video

Horst M.

Hallo it has been a while, that I posted something here,

because I had to localize Vectorworks.

Today I was looking through the release videos that show VW2019 features.

... and found the sequence showing a Truss rigged on a bracing (foto attached)

😳

I love Vectorworks, and with the integration of braceworks and all the other   

features of the last years  VW qualifies for the #1 tool in the entertainment and theatre industry.

The image attached, produced for marketing, is a good example, that even the best software 

does‘nt repalce expertise. And if we try so people will get hurt!

But I also think, that even a marketing video should never show such basic and fatal mistakes.

Please give us  GIZMOs or steelflex Truss adapters in BraceWorks!

best Horst

B0A6938D-A2C3-4F9C-9AE3-DDCCC863A45E.jpeg

Edited by Horst M.
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for pointing this out. We agree that this is not how this would be safely hung, and we made some creative decisions with the animator to reduce complexity and focus in on the features we were trying to highlight for all of you.  I did the modeling for this and fully realize that a hoist would never support a loaded truss from a diag. When Braceworks connects to a truss it comes in as default at 12" above load height, I usually drop it down to the top chord, avoiding an unrealistic gap, but as the animation team added it they lined it up to look like it was picking up from that member. Bracework’s option to set the hook height from load and at that height would be giving the correct chain length for a truss hanger and would in fact calculate the system correctly without any graphical connection. They are available from the truss library and you can add them to a hook symbol used by the hoist tool. After adding these, the hoist can be rotated to align 90º to the truss and adjusted by the low hook to load setting in the OIP to align with the top cord. For a very realistic effect the symbol can be duplicated into multiple angle versions to keep the chain bag from crossing any lattice work. I do agree that we should have an option for putting a connection method to a model for rendering, I have even gone so far as to model a Gacflex including wrap, shackles and pear ring into the design model but it would add so much geometry to 160 plus hoists rig that we kept them out for render speed.  I will personally add the suggestion to the new features wish list. I’m just glad they didn’t zoom in anymore as I didn’t put in any truss pins or R clips......LOL

Unknown.png