2019 Zoom Rendering Speed

Taproot

Question

After installing 2019, I found the zoom rendering speed to be slower than v.2018. 

Instead of a jittery zoom experience, it would freeze and jump to the end of the zoom.

Fortunately, the problem went away once I went to VW>Preferences > Display

and toggled the "Navigation Graphics" setting.  It was set to "Best Performance", but once the setting was changed, all modes now work correctly and the problem hasn't returned.

Posted in case anyone else has this problem.

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Taproot said:

After installing 2019, I found the zoom rendering speed to be slower than v.2018. 

Instead of a jittery zoom experience, it would freeze and jump to the end of the zoom.

Fortunately, the problem went away once I went to VW>Preferences > Display

and toggled the "Navigation Graphics" setting.  It was set to "Best Performance", but once the setting was changed, all modes now work correctly and the problem hasn't returned.

Posted in case anyone else has this problem.

I had the same issue especially on bezier curves or other organic shapes. Set preferences to "Good and compatible" solved it. Now zoom is great. 

5 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

Disconnect all but one of those monitors from your Mac, then restart the machine with just a single one attached. Relaunch Vectorworks, put it back in Best Performance, and tell me if it seems the same, worse, or better please.

Hi Jim,  I'm not sure how that would help - as the problem in not persistent given once the preference is toggled on/off.  Subsequent re-launchings of VW have shown that it still works correctly after the first change.  I did try and disable my monitor, restart, etc.  But it uncalibrated all of my resolution settings and in general just made a mess of my equipment ... after 15-20 minutes of getting everything back to normal again, I'm loathe to do it again unless it would really benefit you.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 hours ago, Taproot said:

I'm not sure how that would help - as the problem in not persistent given once the preference is toggled on/off.

It's a diagnostic step to exclude any of the multi monitor performance issues early on, apologies for forcing that extra work. The main reason I jumped to that first is because your hardware should be more than capable of smooth screen zoom/pan. From the other responses however with various configurations, it leads me elsewhere.

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM:
Please reply back either in this thread or in a direct message with the following:

as well as if you saw the problem resolve by altering the Navigation Graphics setting.

@Jim Wilson

Hello everybody, I am experiencing the same issue on my Vectorworks 2019 on Windows if I set navigation graphics to "best performance". The only way to avoid it is with "good performance and compatibility". 

I am using two monitors, I will try to unplug one and see if it changes but the same happens to my colleague who is only using one display.

We both just clean installed Vectorworks 2019 (although we have older versions installed on the same computer).

Any help would be appreciated

Edited by marcozl