VW2019 - Site Model Sculpting Interface

Kevin McAllister

Question

I was messing around with the new site model sculpting in VW2019 and I have a couple of questions about the interface -

1. When you sculpt part of a site model and then undo, VW only seems to back up through the view changes and not the sculpting moves. Is this intentional?
  2. I kept finding myself going for the navigation tools in my regular tool bar (habit) but they were greyed out in the new interface. Having to select the navigation tools in the sculpting tool palette is a bit disruptive to an existing workflow. I'd be curious if the beta testers were selecting navigation tools by mousing when testing the interface.

Thanks,

Kevin

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Undo issue is considered a bug, when its working appropriately it will track undos in that editing environment as normal. However apparently the Undo system itself has to be upgraded to allow this as well as to fix other unrelated Undo bugs.

I was using the mouse, however i agree the key mappings should at least equate for the same tools.

I tried playing with the "G" key origin.

If it would be possible to repeatedly use it to jump around, ....

like drawing a rectangle, "G"ing around, drawing another rectangle.

That created some chaos and mixing up of Axis in "G" functionality.

At that time an UNDO did not undo the last step but all rectangles

were gone and didn't come back with a REDO.

That was my first time I experienced that UNDO Issue so many had.

25 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

However apparently the Undo system itself has to be upgraded to allow this as well as to fix other unrelated Undo bugs.

So if that UNDO System gets updated at any time,

I would like to bump my wish that the View Undos will be completely separated from Geometry Undos.

Edited by zoomer

Thanks Jim.

5 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

The Undo issue is considered a bug, when its working appropriately it will track undos in that editing environment as normal. However apparently the Undo system itself has to be upgraded to allow this as well as to fix other unrelated Undo bugs.

^ That sounds like a big job that would only occur in the next full release....

5 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

I was using the mouse, however i agree the key mappings should at least equate for the same tools.

^ I didn't test the key mapping. For me its more about where the tool icon resides on my screen. My body knows how to automatically find the navigation tools in my workspace. It doesn't know how to find them in these new floating tool palettes. These interface decisions really relate to this wish -

and the last part of this comment (not the part that previews) about consistency -

Kevin