Spotlight Numbering DMX

kduncan

Question

Hello all. I might be missing something here but the spotlight numbering still does not seem to treat DMX correctly, I am still exporting my instrument data to wrangle the dmx in another piece of software before importing back in.

What I would like to see is a proper implementation of DMX numbering where the system understands that there are 512 channels per DMX universe, and will increment the universe and addresses accordingly.

It would be great if it would also concatenate the universe and address information in to the UAddress field automatically with a separator of your choice.

Keith

VWX 2019

Edited by kduncan
spelling correction

2 answers to this question

On 9/13/2018 at 4:08 PM, kduncan said:

Hello all. I might be missing something here but the spotlight numbering still does not seem to treat DMX correctly, I am still exporting my instrument data to wrangle the dmx in another piece of software before importing back in.

What I would like to see is a proper implementation of DMX numbering where the system understands that there are 512 channels per DMX universe, and will increment the universe and addresses accordingly.

It would be great if it would also concatenate the universe and address information in to the UAddress field automatically with a separator of your choice.

Keith

VWX 2019

Hey Keith,

You can set a limit to each field you are numbering. For address you can set it to 512. In 2019 with the new Spotlight Numbering tool you can make a field restart to the start value at a set limit. However this does not yet trigger another field (in this case universe) to increment. 

I made a recent wishlist request to add this feature to the new tool. Want to upvote it? 

I do agree that universe - address and also circuit number - circuit name should be able to automatically concatenate into a desired field. This would make much cleaner labels.

If you are asking for the software to know which dmx channels are free and used on which universe, then that would be massive ofcourse! Might not be simple though.

I had a quick chat with the guys on the Vectorworks PLASA stand the other day regarding the whole DMX addressing situation and they seem keep to implement a more complete tool to help deal with the issues that we are seeing, perhaps with a bit of consultation we might get something that is as close to what we all want, which no doubt varies to some extent.

And as you point out there were user definable concatenation fields in the label legend system that would make for very neat and flexible legends.