Are Apple's "turbo boost" MacBooks worth it?

..... it depends.

No one ever had seen that i9 in a Macbook Pro ever reaching its max Turbo Speed of 4.8 GHz.

And as the ability to spread the heat of such a slim Macbook is limited,

if you want to use 100% multi threadded loads for more than a few minutes,

like CPU Rendering, all 3 CPU options will be similar fast.

(And the cheapest CPU option mostly wins)

But when you have just short load bursts the i9 is faster with its higher base and turbo boost

clock speeds.

That could be e.g. in VW when single threaded standard CAD work is needed or even when

a few threads in VW 2019 for View Updates are used. And as it is said that VW will use

multi threading where ever possible in the future, when these are just shorter bursts,

you will profit from the more expensive i9.

So the i9 option is not useless in any case ....

Hi all,

I was thinking on getting the Apple macbook pro (for quite a while that i'm thinking on buying one) the only ones that are adequate for VW use is the 15" model or the 13" is also a good machine to work?? (the screen size obviously is a downside but would it work with the intel iris) ??

Has anyone tested the VW2018/2019 on these new macbook pro's ??

59 minutes ago, FBernardo said:

I was thinking on getting the Apple macbook pro (for quite a while that i'm thinking on buying one) the only ones that are adequate for VW use is the 15" model or the 13" is also a good machine to work?? (the screen size obviously is a downside but would it work with the intel iris) ??

^ I would only go for the 15" with a proper graphics chip. You will not like VW using integrated graphics like the Intel Iris. There are many threads on the forums about display problems using integrated graphics. Those systems don't meet the minimum specs for serious use.

Kevin

22 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

I came across this excellent and thorough rundown of exactly this topic a few days ago:

I wonder why there aren't that much temperature issues when 100% Video Compressing

as in Final Cut although these usually run quite a time. There seem to be different kinds

of CPU loads that are more or less tedious for a CPU.

There is a special Intel Instruction Set that makes CPUs really hot when used by certain

Apps. C4D Rendering is more demanding than Video and finally there are these synthetic

benchmarks that produce even much more heat.

Macbook i9's Cinebench isn't bad either.

The problem with Cinebench is that it is already a bit dated for nowadays CPU performance.

It finishes in too short time and you get different results for each try when you throw any

dual CPU Xeon solutions with 48 cores on it that finishes in a few seconds.

So to get a realistic Cinebench result which shows that all 3 CPU options are equal,

you have to run Cinebench at least a few times until everything gets warm.

That will be the pace you'll get when you want to render a Viewport that needs 2 hours.

Or as in the video was told, the 2018 i9 wasn't faster in Blender than the 2016 i7 model.

The initial "Bug" and the "Fix" was a different story.

Without setting a usual TDP limit for a Mobile CPU, the i9 can take up to 150 W.

Which he did and nearly grilled the VRMs on the board. But the Fix reduced

allowed TDP to a useful Level and it eliminated these strange jumps between

CPU clock speeds.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
33 minutes ago, zoomer said:

There seem to be different kinds

of CPU loads that are more or less tedious for a CPU.

Very much so. I only have a cursory understanding of it, but a lot of development work has gone into codecs and compression algorithms over the years specifically to optimize aspects of creating and viewing video. I'm sure there are quite a few brilliant unsung heroes responsible for our age of video binging.