Titleblock - Issues / Revisions !?!

twk

Greetings all,

What are the actual guidelines for using Issues and Revisions?

Is there a workflow tutorial somewhere for how to go about this?

It's much different than the VAA Titleblocks I'm used to.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the new native Titleblock in 2018.

In the VAA Titleblocks, an Issue was per Sheet, the latest issue would show the latest issue for this sheet. But for the new VW titleblock, the latest issue shows the last issue for the entire file. Am I reading this wrong?

image.thumb.png.ddac68d63ca5ea5a14a43ec5ba4dac1c.png

Edited by twk

The Vectorworks 2018 online Help Manual says the 'Apply Issues Data To:' dropdown is used to specify whether the issue is applied to "All Active Sheets" or a specified one. There is another factor though relating to an OIP setting of the titleblock/s on the Sheet Layers concerned.

See: http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2018/eng/VW2018_Guide/Setup/Adding_and_Editing_Drawing_Issues.htm 

Edited by Jeremy Best

The problem with issues and the the revisions system is that when you only apply them to the sheet it screws up the system over the whole set. If you apply them to the whole set it gets confusing as it shows revisions to sheets with no revisions/issue changes.

For example (applies to Issues as well):

Revision 1: Sheets 1,2 & 3 have a revision so become rev 1. in the title block

Revision 2: Sheet 2 has a change - sheet 1 &3 stay on rev 1 sheet 2 goes to rev 2

Revision 3: Sheet 1 has a revision - Sheet 1 goes to rev 3, sheet 2 rev 2 and sheet 1 rev 1

There is no way in the current system to make the revision flow chronologically - the current system would call sheet 1 rev 2, sheet 2 rev2 and shet 3 rev 1 - very confusing making it look like only two revisions have occurred when there have been three. Revisions and issues should be a project wide system not a title block thing.

Revit has a brilliant system for this along with sheet list that adds revisions. You set the issue/revision number/letter in the rev/issue manager and any cloud you tag is auto numbered to the current active rev/issue- once this is signed of the rev/issue is completed in the manager and the title blocks only show the highest revision/issue. Next issue/change is automatically activated when closing off the last rev/issue. 

Edited by Aspect_Design

@Aspect_Design, these are my findings as well.

I understand different firms treat issues differently, I just wish there was a proper walkthrough of the workflow that Vectorworks "wants" and then we can tweak it from there.

At current the text help topics on this are really hard to follow. And the VW youtube channel for this topic has only 3 videos!

A playlist like Archicad has on this topic has 46 videos on the workflow.

We need something like this @Jim Wilson for our(vectorworks') revision system.

I'm going through our help docs now to try and figure it out..

Edited by twk

I’ve noticed a lot of forum traffic on the new title blocks ever since they came out but understand that much of it is addressed in VW2019     Is that correct?

I hope so as for now I’m sticking with the VAA title blocks and holding my breath for the new release...

Here's hoping! I personally found the new titleblock a huge step up in functionality; the only niggle I have is the revision system and to a lesser extent a sheet list showing the most current revision - but certainly felt like a job half done. The VAA titleblocks were a huge amount of work to update..when I go back to older projects I replace them 😁

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

About Issues and Revisions for the Title Block Border:

Revisions are Title Block (Sheet) specific and the latest revision is calculated separately for each TBB.

Issues are document specific. This means that, when adding a new Issue, no matter if you add it for the selected TBB only or all TBBs, it is going to affect the next added issue for the whole document. @twk this is the reason why the latest issue for your TBB is 12 - you probably have 11 other issues in the document that are not used for the selected TBB but still affect its latest issue.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

Well I guess that makes sense.. 

Our project is a bit different..

- We're staging a 3 tower, 6 storey apartment complex in 8 stages (Foundation/SuperStructure/Portion1-Internals/Portion1-Facade/Portion2-Internals/Portion2-Facade/..etc);

- We've set our file structure to keep all PLANS/ELEVATIONS/SECTIONS in a single project sharing file and another DETAILS only file.

- This is because of the nature of the project, there are still design changes happening post-tender.. headache I know.

So we've actually had have 10 titleblocks per Sheet, having each Issue and Revision tracked per sheet - Each TB classed per StAGE - as there are some cross-overlaps for sheets between stages;

which was working in 2017, but we wanted to upgrade to test the multipane, and possibly new TB features.

The VAA Titleblocks allow us to have Issue's on per Sheet basis, so will stick with this for now and maybe switchover to 2019 if the features improve.

Thanks for the input though @Nikolay Zhelyazkov

14 minutes ago, Boh said:

Wow sounds pretty complicated. Multiple titleblocks on a single sheet but on different classes?

How do you manage that? With saved views and worksheets?

Yep, complicated is one word to describe it.. 

We're using a combination of saved views, saved publish sets and a bit of scripting to manage the writing to the Issue and Revision parameters of each VAATB.

And scripting for the worksheet drawing register..

12 hours ago, Aspect_Design said:

There is no way in the current system to make the revision flow chronologically - the current system would call sheet 1 rev 2, sheet 2 rev2 and shet 3 rev 1 - very confusing making it look like only two revisions have occurred when there have been three. Revisions and issues should be a project wide system not a title block thing.

Revit has a brilliant system for this along with sheet list that adds revisions. You set the issue/revision number/letter in the rev/issue manager and any cloud you tag is auto numbered to the current active rev/issue- once this is signed of the rev/issue is completed in the manager and the title blocks only show the highest revision/issue. Next issue/change is automatically activated when closing off the last rev/issue. 

This was my exact concern and why I didn't bother to invest the time to learn.  Seems its even changed from 17-18 and is bound to rules. It would be wonderful if you could simply chose to link or unlink text bocks, I cant see what more you would need.  When you think about what a rev block is its nothing more then a item of text letting you know what revision the sheet you are looking at is on.  I don't want to spend 2-3 days getting entrenched into a system that is bound to change.  I want something simple and functional. 

For example. if I change a Rev on the title block, it should correspond to that sheet that has changed as well with a link.  The only power I see in this is saving time update the sheets.  Seems no reason it should be more complicated than that.  Pick a border.  Link Text on title sheet with text in rev block on desired sheets.  Done.  

Our current drawings exist of basic line work for a border and text.  Has worked for 10+ years with zero issues.  While simple it just works.

Edited by HEengineering