Vectorworks 2019 release date

6 minutes ago, line-weight said:

We don't have to at the moment do we? You can take off a horizontal section from an elevation view.

Sure but you have to create an extra viewport just to make the cut. And (although it crashed when I was messing with it) it looks like it has a way to automatically dash-hidden line object over the cutting plane. That will save a lot of drawing in the viewport annotations. If it works. 

Edited by SeanOSkea
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, SeanOSkea said:

Sure but you have to create an extra viewport just to make the cut. And (although it crashed when I was messing with it) it looks like it has a way to automatically dash-hidden line object over the cutting plane. That will save a lot of drawing in the viewport annotations. If it works. 

Sounds promising. I'd be interested to see how it draws things like doors and stairs.

I also had hope as VW 2019 was secretly teased as a featureless Release.

(like Snow Leopard)

I am finally ok with that Release, nearly everything very useful even for my workflow.

(I seem to prefer the odd number Releases 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, ...)

And so of course VW 2019 is again is the best VW ever.

Indeed there weren't any completely new Tools released like in previous Releases.

(Like e.g. Energos, Irrigation Tools, SubDs, ...)

But I hoped that this Release will fix all legacy issues that I always call annoyances.

When I scroll down the what's new List I see hardly anything that changed at all.

I see overwhelming New Features that were either added to, or extending existing

Tools.

But especially for the older but necessary Base Tools - nothing had changed.

Only juvenile Tools from the last hand full of years get any love and attention.

For some of the new things I already start to get ideas how they could be improved

or what lacks.

My personal endless List of Annoyances which I hoped for to diminish, stayed

completely untouched. Just what immediately comes into my mind ...

- VW Global Version and unification of Localized Versions

- Environment visible in Slab Editing Mode

- Cursor Y-NumInput automatically activated when needed or nothing else useful

- Cursor + - directions read from cursor

- Cursor Input positive only for any Tools, not half of them

- Cursor hard SHIFT Lock not changing Axis until released

- Key option for Live Zoom and Flyover

- Screenplane System inconsistencies

- Top Plan like 2D mode for any orthogonal Elevation DL (2,4,5,6,8) Views

- Always Wireframe + never Perspektive Mode Option for DL (2,4,5,6,8) Views

- Suitable Texture and Image Preview Size

- DL OpenGL Transparency display for C4D-imported Materials healthy

- VW 2018 corrupt Render Material Preview, and therefore in OpenGL too, solved

- Cameras not trashing Settings and Positions

- Separate Move by Points + Copy by Points Tool (and much more)

- Move by Points Tool not n*copying when in Move Mode

- Stairs healthy Geometry

- Story Level usability and inconsistency

- and so on ...

And as not yet tested I am not sure if ...

- Location and Rotation Problems solved with Geometry in Extrudes

- Intersection Snap works in Edit Modes for environment geometry and is consistent

- Push Pull Face Recognition Blindness eliminated

- C4D Exchange, Geometry and Texture export reliable again

- and so on .....

So many things, needed to be use most of the time, even hurting more than an important

Feature missing. So if not addressed in even such a rare special Release like VW 2019,

when then.

I hope with the Release of VW Linux Support ....

Edited by zoomer
Had to push a few items from "not tested" to "not solved" list
  • Like 4

I'm not sure what my overall favourite thing in VW2019 will be yet. So far the best thing I've discovered is that this bug that appeared with the release of VW2017 has been fixed -

My favourite thing in VW2018 was the addition of this scaling improvement -

And my favourite thing in VW2017 was adding access to the drawing number field in the OIP -

Both of these items improve my efficiency every day. I was hoping for more improvements like this in VW2019. They may be there and I'm hopeful that they are but I haven't found them yet.

My top two things that need to be fixed are -

And this -

The multiline field thing is a big problem with the new Title Block Border introduced in VW2018. It even presents itself visually in VW2019, where things that should be single line fields but are made into multiline fields by default take up a lot of extra space in the dialog. However the big issue is exiting the field. In a single line field you can hit return and it closes the whole dialog. In a multiline field it moves you to the next line. Since I never wanted these to be multiline field it breaks my workflow. Each time I edit one of these multiline fields I move down a line and then have to delete back and remember to click ok using the mouse instead. Return should do the same thing in all fields. As has been said many times consistency is key to a good workflow. (The only other place return moves you down a line instead of closing a dialog in VW is when editing a callout. Its not great there either.)

They are my top two because they affect me every time I sit down and work with VW.

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

But especially for the older but necessary Base Tools - nothing had changed.

^ This is my observation too.

- Cursor Input positive only for any Tools, not half of them

- Cursor hard SHIFT Lock not changing Axis until released

- Key option for Live Zoom and Flyover

- Screenplane System inconsistencies

- Always Wireframe + never Perspektive Mode Option for DL (2,4,5,6,8) Views

- Suitable Texture and Image Preview Size

- Cameras not trashing Settings and Positions

^ These are great priorities and would make our day to day work much more efficient.

I'm not diminishing the need for bigger fixes but I'm always surprised by the impact of the small inefficiencies that could be easily fixed.

Kevin

All the extra space used by multiline fields that don't need to be multiline fields....

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 7.55.40 AM copy.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/13/2018 at 7:35 AM, Jim Wilson said:

Overall both, once we start restructuring the way we show tools and palettes, it immediately opens up the ability to customize HOW they work as well. However, I have not been part of enough discussions to know whether we would just change the look first, get everything situated and THEN start altering the way users interact with various tools, or if we would do both at once. I would assume that we wouldn't just update the palettes and menus but then none of the various complex dialogs many of our tools have within them.

The majority of chatter I have heard is the desire to create palettes that can be easily modified on their own without us needing to push "new" versions of the tools to users via a patch or worse, wait for a full release. So for instance, engineers working on the Door tool could alter any of the various fields in the OIP without having to heavily modify the guts of the OIP itself as we currently need to do. It's so difficult (time and engineering resource-wise) to alter anything with the current system, that it resulted in what we have now, where major UI changes come rarely and almost exclusively in full releases.

I have another question about a UI upgrade - would a UI upgrade change how quickly dialogs open (eg. double clicking on a Title Block Border opens the edit dialog)? Is the current UI structure for this single core?

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
20 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I have another question about a UI upgrade - would a UI upgrade change how quickly dialogs open (eg. double clicking on a Title Block Border opens the edit dialog)? Is the current UI structure for this single core?

I can't give an absolutely yes or no on that since it's very dependent on which dialog for which tool. Some of them currently load large libraries in the background when used for the first time in a session (I think Lighting Instruments and Doors are the most noticeable at the moment?) while others are relatively lightweight and come right up. Depending on HOW we move forward with a UI update, would determine if that loading speed decreased or not.

For instance, one possible avenue for our UI is to rebuild the palette and menu systems with HTML, this would not only allow for screen size/resolution aware adaptive appearances of the UI, but also nearly full customization of spacing, color, font, and any kind of collapsible-ness we could need. However, this would be one of the methods where the UI would look and feel much newer, but if we still linked it into the same tool underneath and if we didnt give that part any love, that same slowdown could occur.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

I can't give an absolutely yes or no on that since it's very dependent on which dialog for which tool. Some of them currently load large libraries in the background when used for the first time in a session (I think Lighting Instruments and Doors are the most noticeable at the moment?) while others are relatively lightweight and come right up. Depending on HOW we move forward with a UI update, would determine if that loading speed decreased or not.

For instance, one possible avenue for our UI is to rebuild the palette and menu systems with HTML, this would not only allow for screen size/resolution aware adaptive appearances of the UI, but also nearly full customization of spacing, color, font, and any kind of collapsible-ness we could need. However, this would be one of the methods where the UI would look and feel much newer, but if we still linked it into the same tool underneath and if we didnt give that part any love, that same slowdown could occur.

Thanks for the info. I was curious because yesterday I did a side by side comparison of editing a Sheet Border (2017) and a Title Block Border (2018/19) because I was trying to describe the slowness I've been seeing. Clearly they are different animals under the surface but I was surprised how quick the Sheet Border dialog opened when double-clicking. I had forgotten since I hadn't working in VW2017 for more than a year. It must be an interesting experience for users who switch interchangeably between versions throughout their day.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...