Vectorworks 2019 release date

12 hours ago, barkest said:

Still looking for that big ticket item (maybe I missed it)

I think Vectorow

12 hours ago, barkest said:

Still looking for that big ticket item (maybe I missed it)

I think Nemetschek need to be really careful with these videos. They look great and sleek, but are hardly representative of the old UI we have come to know and love

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

I think Nemetschek need to be really careful with these videos. They look great and sleek, but are hardly representative of the old UI we have come to know and love

I suspect they would cross the line here in Australia.

Especially the bit with the guy using an iPad while you talk about Sketching your design ideas.

Edited by Matt Overton

I understand that certain things won't be addressed because there is an idea to

completely redo them at a point in the future.

UI/UX is not only about graphics and I already criticized a lot about UX and

workflows.

But if these people can do all that gorgeous layouts, Icons and graphics just for such

videos, if there would be any way to throw 80% of that in a superficial manner into

VW's current UI,

I would calm down and give VW another 10 or 20 years for any real UI overhaul attempts.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 3

While I understand the current UI is crusty and the promo videos make it look and feel great.  Perhaps it's the utilitarian in me that would rather have a rock solid, completely multi-threaded,  lightning quick,  patch on-demand software package first.  The focus of 2019 seems to be a step in that direction.    It could have the most beautiful/functional UI on the planet but if the former isn't met,  who cares?

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, Wesley Burrows said:

While I understand the current UI is crusty and the promo videos make it look and feel great.  Perhaps it's the utilitarian in me that would rather have a rock solid, completely multi-threaded,  lightning quick,  patch on-demand software package first.  The focus of 2019 seems to be a step in that direction.    It could be have the most beautiful/functional UI on the planet but if the former isn't met,  who cares?

^ Don't get me wrong, I agree with this 100%. But if NV chooses to upgrade the UI the marketing material contains a lot of nice stuff. The biggest priority I see personally is to overhaul the navigation system so its not tool dependent. It would make things like the Subdivision Tool so much more useable.

As a bigger discussion, I would be curious to know what NV considers UI ( @Jim Wilson?). Is it just cosmetics or is it something deeper like upgrading the navigation system.

Kevin

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

As a bigger discussion, I would be curious to know what NV considers UI ( @Jim Wilson?). Is it just cosmetics or is it something deeper like upgrading the navigation system.

Overall both, once we start restructuring the way we show tools and palettes, it immediately opens up the ability to customize HOW they work as well. However, I have not been part of enough discussions to know whether we would just change the look first, get everything situated and THEN start altering the way users interact with various tools, or if we would do both at once. I would assume that we wouldn't just update the palettes and menus but then none of the various complex dialogs many of our tools have within them.

The majority of chatter I have heard is the desire to create palettes that can be easily modified on their own without us needing to push "new" versions of the tools to users via a patch or worse, wait for a full release. So for instance, engineers working on the Door tool could alter any of the various fields in the OIP without having to heavily modify the guts of the OIP itself as we currently need to do. It's so difficult (time and engineering resource-wise) to alter anything with the current system, that it resulted in what we have now, where major UI changes come rarely and almost exclusively in full releases.

• Like 1

All this UI discussion reminds me so much of this time last year.

No doubt - upgrading the UI is a MASSIVE project, and it has to be right - but I think it really needs to happen. It's not just a "oohhh - that looks nice" thing, it's about brand and the impression you give users too.  C4D and even AutoCAD for Mac UI's just look so much more polished and professional.

There are so many oddities in the VWX UI - regular users have got used to them - but it looks sloppy and unprofessional to new users.  Take this screen shot from Align / Distribute for example - the checkboxes don't conform with basic UI standards (they should be radio buttons).  This is from v2019 and has been exactly like this as long as I can remember.

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 15.41.37.png

Edited by Andrew Davies
2 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

Take this screen shot from Align / Distribute for example - the checkboxes don't conform with basic UI standards (they should be radio buttons)

While I definitely agree with you about the many oddities throughout the program, the specific example of the Align Distribute tool having both checkboxes and radio buttons actually makes sense. Checkboxes assume you can check one or multiple or none (since you can Align or Distribute or Both or Neither). Whereas radio buttons are select-one-only (such as Left or Center or Insertion Point or Right or Spacing).

[Edit: see below - you can't actually do both at once, but checkboxes are still needed so that you can do neither]

But otherwise your point stands 🙂

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 1

Ahh yes, fair point.  There is a situation when you can have neither align nor distribute selected - so I guess that does stand. It's just that if you have align selected, then choose distribute, the former is de-selected.

Not the best example - granted!

Oh and yes - interactive preview to that dialogue and duplicate array and a load of others would be a massive help and most welcome!

Edited by Andrew Davies
1 hour ago, Andrew Davies said:

Ahh yes, fair point.  There is a situation when you can have neither align nor distribute selected - so I guess that does stand. It's just that if you have align selected, then choose distribute, the former is de-selected.

Not the best example - granted!

Oh and yes - interactive preview to that dialogue and duplicate array and a load of others would be a massive help and most welcome!

Oh you're right that you can't do both... In my head you could since you can Align horizontally and Distribute vertically. But you can't do both in the same direction. I've edited my previous post.

But otherwise yes, checkboxes are needed so that you can do neither.

Edited by Andy Broomell
6 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

^ Don't get me wrong, I agree with this 100%. But if NV chooses to upgrade the UI the marketing material contains a lot of nice stuff. The biggest priority I see personally is to overhaul the navigation system so its not tool dependent. It would make things like the Subdivision Tool so much more useable.

Kevin

I agree! I'm astonished we still don't have a universal widget or toggle-able  XYZ locks as part of the basic interface. I'm a VW cheerleader but WV 19 is basically indistinguishable from VW 2012. I haven't really noticed any performance upgrade from 18 as far as the multi threading goes. My 6 core 8700K and GTX 1080 that rips though every other application I use still seem to be pretty sleepy on the dang tool I use every day! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wesley Burrows said:

While I understand the current UI is crusty and the promo videos make it look and feel great.  Perhaps it's the utilitarian in me that would rather have a rock solid, completely multi-threaded,  lightning quick,  patch on-demand software package first.  The focus of 2019 seems to be a step in that direction.    It could have the most beautiful/functional UI on the planet but if the former isn't met,  who cares?

I couldn't agree more. The first thing I do in any software from Windows up is go in and turn off all the bells and whistles. I really couldn't care less if its a 1990s radio button or an animated glowing ball of amazing, if I'm staring at the wait cursor for half the time I'm working.  Blender just released the EVEE UI that allows you to work in a fully rendered and lit environment in real-time and that's an open source software.  So many of the exciting additions to VW--sub surfaces, displacement maps, caustics, etc--that I was so excited about when they came out, I hardly ever use because they slow you down to a crawl. Fast 3d, fast view-ports, fast renders, fast save/open. Those are the things that affect you more than anything else. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, SeanOSkea said:

I haven't really noticed any performance upgrade from 18 as far as the multi threading goes. My 6 core 8700K and GTX 1080 that rips though every other application I use still seem to be pretty sleepy on the dang tool I use every day! 

It is my understanding from @Jim Wilson that 2019 is currently hard coded to only use a max of 4 cores for now until it has proven itself stable.    Then they can increase it later.   Part of me wishes that the core limit was a user preference and then I can scale it back down if I start crashing.  But I understand why they did it.

• Like 2