Selectively turn lighting beams on/off per viewport

Greetings,

I'm using focus points and the draw beam features in spotlight and am currently working on getting all of my viewports plated into sheet layers for publishing.

I'm running into a bit of a snag where I have some viewports where I would like to see the lighting beams and others where I would like them to be off. How can i achieve this since this is a feature of the lighting fixture itself and not a class?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In Spotlight Preferences you can set the class of the beams and then use class settings of the viewports to turn them on and off. You just have to have them turned on in the design layer so they can be drawn in in the viewport.

The classes default to the same class as the lighting device so you must create a special class for them in order to have more direct control.

image.png

• 2 years later...

Hi there everybody,

I am currently trying to resolve the same issue as listed in the original post in this thread. I followed the steps above and went into spotlight preferences as instructed; however, I can't get it to do what it is supposed to. I have changed the settings to create a separate class for the beam object, but it still connects itself to the fixture and is still visible even with the beam class invisible. This is true of fixtures placed before the changes were made and ones placed after the changes were made.

Am I missing something?

SOLVED!

I can't remove the post, but I did find that the problem is the difference between the field angle and the beam angle and I only had one changing visibility.

Edited by carterdesigner
Solved issue