Toggling between Document Tabs

genie

Question

Has anyone encountered issues while toggling between document tabs? For instance, toggling from one document to another,  the screen will show active document , but navigation palette and Object Info Palette are those of the previous document , and any actions will affect the previous file, not the one shown currently on screen.

It will happen intermittently, so I haven't be able to recreate it to pinpoint the issue. 

I'm using Windows 10 and Vectorworks 2018

TIA

• Like 2

21 answers to this question

On 9/6/2018 at 10:30 PM, Jim Wilson said:

Marked VB-146728

A fix for this one has been found and is going into 2019 for sure, I'll check to see about getting into the SPs for 2018.

We have all upgraded to VW 2019 in our office and are still having the same problem. Cant switch between open documents and end up closing all files and re-opening them. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, twhitwell6 said:

We have all upgraded to VW 2019 in our office and are still having the same problem. Cant switch between open documents and end up closing all files and re-opening them. 

Since the filing of VB-146728 we found something else out that can cause it. Reply back with the following from any of the affected machines where it was confirmed to not be working and I should be able to try something:

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 minutes ago, twhitwell6 said:

Hi Jim, 

Please see the text file attached. Thank you for looking at this for us.

DxDiag.txt

Close Vectorworks entirely, then download and install this driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28566/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=96551

Reboot your machine completely, then relaunch Vectorworks and tell me if it allows document switching. HOWEVER: This machine looks to be below the minimum spec for 2019 as far as its graphics card goes, so there is only so much we can troubleshoot.

26 minutes ago, twhitwell6 said:

Hi @PVA - Jim

I've just looked into the graphics card in our machines; they all have the Intel (R) HD Graphics 650 which supports openGL 4.4. Looking at the minimum spec for Vectorworks 2019, this looks adequate. Am I wrong?

Well, the system recommendations for VW 2019 have this sentence in the section "Minimum Hardware Profile" for Intel Iris GPUs (which apparently the 650 is part of): "Some integrated graphics cards such as Intel Iris graphics are acceptable for simple models/drawings, but a dedicated graphics card is preferable."

Thank you Nicholas, 

Unfortunately, the owners of the small family business I work for do not have a lot of tech understanding and are not that willing to upgrade our computers. I am trying to word our issue is a way that doesn't sound like I'm demanding an entirely new computer suite. We currently have one laptop running Vectorworks on an i3 core.

For a mid-level performance, what graphics card would you recommend? Would a laptop have this capability? if so, could you recommend a laptop?

7 minutes ago, twhitwell6 said:

Thank you Nicholas, 

Unfortunately, the owners of the small family business I work for do not have a lot of tech understanding and are not that willing to upgrade our computers. I am trying to word our issue is a way that doesn't sound like I'm demanding an entirely new computer suite. We currently have one laptop running Vectorworks on an i3 core.

For a mid-level performance, what graphics card would you recommend? Would a laptop have this capability? if so, could you recommend a laptop?

I can understand that you have constraints. I have just wanted to stress out what is written in the recommendation.

Sure, Jim Wilson would be the expert to answer on such a question but as he is not an employee of VW any more, I would not expect an answer from him (too soon).

As for a recommendation, sorry, I cannot give you one. First, I am not an expert, second our company (extragroup GmbH) has a general policy not to give hardware recommendations... so that is even more true for this forum.

10 minutes ago, Nicolas Goutte said:

I can understand that you have constraints. I have just wanted to stress out what is written in the recommendation.

Sure, Jim Wilson would be the expert to answer on such a question but as he is not an employee of VW any more, I would not expect an answer from him (too soon).

As for a recommendation, sorry, I cannot give you one. First, I am not an expert, second our company (extragroup GmbH) has a general policy not to give hardware recommendations... so that is even more true for this forum.

I understand. Thank you anyway for your help.

I still get this problem. Has anyone got a fix yet?

I'm using vectorworks 2020 & I find pressing the close button (x in top right corner of screen) and then pressing cancel at save the changes pop up window sometime updates the window to the current document. It is still incredibly frustrating though.

Edited by LukeGPA
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I am having this issue with 2021 as well, getting worse day by day. Have a high spec i9 laptop with a dedicated graphics so performance shouldn't be an issue. Is becoming a total time sink not able to cross reference between drawings. 

• Like 1