Teaser Tuesday - Clip Cube Viewports - Vectorworks 2019

Looks great. Starting down the path to 3d crops which is a good thing. Is it going to be implemented into Hidden Line in the future? I almost always to combination viewports - OpenGL/Hidden Line or Renderworks/Hidden Line.

Also, I notice that the voids are still present in the Clip Cube sections where 3d geometry overlaps. Is this something that will be fixed in the future too?

Kevin

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

So happy to see this implemented! It's definitely been wished for a number of times.

But...

Also...

This really needs to be addressed now that Clip Cubes are usable in presentation views. 

474485587_ScreenShot2018-09-04at9_55_54AM.thumb.png.3c2904ef7442f6698cb37f563ba88bd5.png

I would never let a client see an image like this with weird voids; they're confusing and wrong. So while this new ClipCube Viewport functionality is awesome, it's not quite 'usable' in my opinion...

(Unless there's a plan to fix the voids before release?)

I was having trouble focusing on the very welcome feature being teased because I kept staring at all the incorrect voids at intersecting geometry. I doubt there’s a plan to fix this before the 2019 release as it’s less than 4 weeks away.

Edited by rDesign

This will be very useful. Thank you.

Instantly thought the same thing about those voids though!

(They show up in normal sections too don't they? Arguably they are the result of sloppy drawing/modelling and can always be fixed in the model...but they are a pain especially when you are working at a preliminary stage and don't want to waste time fixing them all)

Also...does the completely hollow cut plane bug in renderworks views still apply to these?

Edited by line-weight

Before this feature, it was possible to make Section Viewports from the face of a Clipcube. You can open an editing window with the "Show Clipcube" checked but currently editing the Clipcube position has no effect on the cut plane position. Can the same Section Viewports now be edited using the same functionality with regard to editing the cut planes now being used with Clipcube viewports?

Thanks

5 hours ago, markdd said:

Before this feature, it was possible to make Section Viewports from the face of a Clipcube. You can open an editing window with the "Show Clipcube" checked but currently editing the Clipcube position has no effect on the cut plane position. Can the same Section Viewports now be edited using the same functionality with regard to editing the cut planes now being used with Clipcube viewports?

Thanks

This is a good question. 

I don’t use Clip  cubes much - but will likely start doing so (old habits)

I suspect the answer is yes from looking T the video - but we’ll probably have to use standard viewports instead of section viewports. 

Maybe one for the facebook live tomorrow 

Regarding the voids, if there's going to be an engineer at the Q&A, here are some thoughts in the form of questions that perhaps they could answer:

-What is the purpose of the voids? Are they there intentionally?

-How does one 'turn off' the voids? If not currently possible, can this be implemented in a Service Pack so we don't have to wait another year?

Aside from that, I do have another question:

-Is there a way to have the cut surfaces display with a hatch fill, rather than solid? If not, can this be implemented in the future? (Or better yet, the ability to assign the cut surfaces to be By Class, that way I could just assign them to the Section Style class).

Thanks!

• Like 2
On 9/4/2018 at 7:04 PM, line-weight said:

(They show up in normal sections too don't they? Arguably they are the result of sloppy drawing/modelling and can always be fixed in the model...but they are a pain especially when you are working at a preliminary stage and don't want to waste time fixing them all)

Heh, so Jim's colleague's answer to the voids question (in the live Q&A just now) was essentially this ^^^

I think that this is avoiding the issue somewhat though, and you aren't going to make users happy by telling them it's their own fault.

Let's see if any strings are pulled prior to release...

First of all, thank you all for joining us and posting questions!

15 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Heh, so Jim's colleague's answer to the voids question (in the live Q&A just now) was essentially this ^^^

I think that this is avoiding the issue somewhat though, and you aren't going to make users happy by telling them it's their own fault.

Oh no my intention wasn't to blame the users at all! I just explained the reason behind it from a rendering standpoint. We do not want to fake things in renderings, we want them to be as accurate to real life as possible. That being said, we value our users' input and this is something we can consider for future releases to fix the geometry. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Kevin McAllister
I notice that the voids are still present in the Clip Cube sections where 3d geometry overlaps. Is this something that will be fixed in the future too?
This is likely something we would not address as a part of Rendering. I will be posting in a separate thread about this later on to address things, explain why we have this stance, and what we can do going forward.

@line-weight

does the completely hollow cut plane bug in renderworks views still apply to these?

This was never officially a feature, however yes now that it has been officially supported, that issue should be gone.

@markdd

Before this feature, it was possible to make Section Viewports from the face of a Clipcube. Can the same Section Viewports now be edited using the same functionality with regard to editing the cut planes now being used with Clipcube viewports?
This feature does not alter now sections are cropped out, this is still done as it was in 2018. However, many users are interested in using the Clip Cube UI to do a lot of section work, so we will be investigating this in development.

@arqteran

This is great, now we can make detail sections in perspective, can we expect call outs that will extract the names of the components automatically?

Ask us this again after launch!

@joerg

Will this work for perspectives too?

Yes!

Gustavo:
the cube can be aligned? in different degrees, can be rotate? just in case the project not fit North to South, for example?
Yes, this is also possible in 2018. Click the Clip Cube, then click the edges of it again, a widget should appear that allows you to rotate it.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, dtheory said:

Andy Broomell said: -Is there a way to have the cut surfaces display with a hatch fill, rather than solid?

I'm interested in this as well..

Jim?

No. Clip cube sections only show a solid fill. Section viewports should be used for that kind of detail.

20 hours ago, line-weight said:

Arguably they are the result of sloppy drawing/modelling and can always be fixed in the model...

I'm not affected 🙂

because overlapping parts hurt and I do hard to model this way.

(And was shocked being advised to work that way to avoid "light leaks"

in early GI Solutions in the past)

But I can understand both sides.It is not bad to model sloppy for

visual presentations in general and in preliminary design in special.

And the client should not see that.

As paint bucketing in PS is more tedious, any way to overcome those

voids with any kind of "2-sided material" usage or automatic

SHIFT-paint-bucket real Polygon creation for Cut Face Addition would

be welcome.

I don't see this as faking - it's optimizing 🙂

Maybe there is a "easy" way as I don't see those voids in Bricscad.

Just the overlapping Faces, which don't disturb by having same material

and the overlapping lines depending on mode, showing lines or not.

What I really like is the Shadow option for invisible Objects !

I do birdseye views of certain Stories, by deactivating upper

Stories Layers, all the time and always thought it looks very

nice being lit by sun this way but that it is not reality and

will never be seen that way later.

And I was always interested to see how such a Story would be lit

in reality and how light is spread in a room.

I could achieve that in 3D Apps with more granular activation of

objects visibilities. Like visible for Shadows and GI but not for

Camera. Or clip planes for Camers

So, nice that I can do this already in design stages directly in VW too

by using a Clip Cube in VPs.

Would be nice to have such a switch also for DL renderings by a

Layer, Class or overall setting too.