Doors with side lights

RDS Casa

Question

Another day another vectorworks bug.

I have a door with a side light. I'm using internal detail (detail comps. 3) and external detail  (detail comps. 1) wrapping into the frame. 

When it looks correct in 2D,

image.thumb.png.12ec62ddf448562286317bc70f3a8622.png

it renders incorrect in 3D

image.thumb.png.84991df41e4c66b6e1941673fe423bab.png

If I then turn side lights off and on again in 3d, it looks correct.

image.thumb.png.c4e847cbf8c7d403f76252c8c2640e4d.png

Then when I go back to 2d it does this.

image.thumb.png.b11848d41ec303aa9eaf226e2ed118dd.png

So I correct in 2d manually and I'm back to the start with the 3d messed up again?

Can some one at VW look at this little bug please? 

Thanks

image.png

17 answers to this question

No, its the std Door PIO in the from the building pallet. Yes, I hope when I get 10 mins today to isolate this in a file and up load it. The test will be if the same problem occurs in the much smaller file. 

I think you are right, it is due to the caps. But because it recurs consistently (in the big file) when the side light is turned on in the PIO, I'm assuming its a bug related to the side light/caps in the PIO.

Thanks for the response. 

18 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Make sure to file this if you haven't already using the Bug Submit link

The link still requires loads of info. What a pain. 

Fair enough if it's a bug out of the blue that is hard to explain/reproduce, but I thought there was going to be a 'one stop' link introduced where you could just reference the forum posting. By the time several members have established a fault and have the experience to describe it as a bug, complete with backround explaination and discussion, I'm not wanting to explain again and include operating systems and licence info. 

Is 'one stop' on its way? I think it would be appropriate and helpful. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Gadzooks said:

The link still requires loads of info. What a pain. 

Fair enough if it's a bug out of the blue that is hard to explain/reproduce, but I thought there was going to be a 'one stop' link introduced where you could just reference the forum posting. By the time several members have established a fault and have the experience to describe it as a bug, complete with backround explaination and discussion, I'm not wanting to explain again and include operating systems and licence info. 

Is 'one stop' on its way? I think it would be appropriate and helpful. 

Here's the wish to upvote - 

Unfortunately if users don't take the time to submit bugs, they may not be logged and fixed.

Kevin

• Like 2

Thanks for all your input. 

I was asked to upload an example (sorry for delay, even finding 10 mins is hard these days)

Example now attached.

- West wall correct in 2d plan, incorrect in 3d

- Copied to the South wall where I turned off the side light, then turned it back on again. This is correct in 3d but incorrect in plan,

But in any case, It looks like you also think this is a bug and not user error this time. I shall do the bug thing.

But any further suggestions / work arounds gratefully received. 

Thanks

Door with side light test.vwx

1 hour ago, RDS Casa said:

Bug submitted. 

Do they give a bug bounty? like apple and google? Pretty sure I have some more! 

Maybe they will send me a t-shirt. I'm a medium, if you are reading this VW people

I think I wish listed a bounty on bugs 😊..... I'll have to find the post again. Edit - here's the link.

Thanks for submitting it.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Link to Bounty on Bugs
8 hours ago, RDS Casa said:

I'm a medium

Me too - and my forecast for you, unfortunately, is no teeshirt and future bugs. 

I think the the main problem for you seems you've got a number of these sidelight units and how you change the drawing to overcome the bug. Are you splitting the doors from the sidelights?

I believe I have a fix. I'll plod through my thoughts so it might be helpful for the boffins...

The door suddenly looses its correct wall hole cut when wrapped components are added - I can't fix that, but you can see the hole cut is just for the door

Looking at the right hand side in wireframe you can see the limits of the wall opening are for door only... (I've left your doors below Z as you had set)

1617624945_ScreenShot2018-09-07at09_43_35.thumb.png.d8303211f9bc0c045eaf341746e5641c.png

So you're going to have to force the wall opening..

Create a simple extrude the same height and width of the opening needed..

Here highlighted as a 'feature in wall'.. (I moved your doors up to Z - was looking odd 😉)

221026521_ScreenShot2018-09-07at09_52_42.thumb.png.442bd2d146afa5090e24f864af25b703.png

Once the hole is created its happy to co-exist with the door and side panel combo and also your wrapped components.

This is the extent of the 'feature in wall'..

64575117_ScreenShot2018-09-07at10_01_21.thumb.png.4270891487e062c27b77f2348ab5779c.png

And your doors retained details..

90449915_ScreenShot2018-09-07at10_01_36.thumb.png.4424ef5dce56297812b7b76629a3edf4.png

OK - bit of a pain if you move the doors and you'll need to move the 'feature', but least it gets your problem solved for the moment.

Ive attached the file. Let me know if I've missed something.

Door with side light test GADZOOKS.vwx

---------------------------------------

Pity I won't be able to help out like this for much longer - I'm not renewing my VSS and therefore won't have the latest version to look at newer problems. Its been fun guys.

Edited by Gadzooks
Can't type!! - Need coffee!!
  • Like 2

Not sure if that is applicable for the Door itself,

but I think for Doors/Windows placed as a Symbol, you can

insert 2 2D points, which will then control the width of

the opening.

EDIT:

No, the 2D Detail doesn't work with a Symbol.

Also I see in Plan View that your Door already has the 2 2D Points

at the correct position outside of your Detail.

Somehow these get ignored in 3D (or even flipped from Door Width ?)