Pre-selection highlighting ...

John_in_NZ

OK good people, another question from a recent immigrant from the land of Autocad.

Can someone please explain in (very) simple terms, how to make use of pre-selection highlighting?

In my extremely limited VWX experience, the only thing that pre-selection highlighting does is increase my blood pressure.

If I hover the mouse over an object that I want to modify, the pre-selection highlighting highlights the object, great, wonderful ...😀

However when I click the mouse button, a completely different object is selected for editing.  Not so great, not so wonderful ... 😐

So, if someone can explain what's going on, I might be able to get a better idea of how to make use of this feature and be able to select objects quickly and accurately.  If someone could explain this, I would be most grateful, as object selection is probably my biggest frustration at the moment, and to have pre-selection highlight an object, but then select a completely different object is driving me nuts.

😀

29 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I've turned it off for various reasons ...

Thanks Kevin.

Yes, I found that I could turn it off in Preferences at the weekend, and it certainly makes things easier from my perspective.

However, after switching it off, I thought it was worthwhile asking the question, just in case there was a problem between the chair and the keyboard ... 😉

hi John,

you might be having trouble selecting objects, one that is in front of the other. Vectorworks uses the stacking order to select objects. This means that the last object created is the first one selected.

try holding your finger on the B key to make all the objects see-through.

It sounds as though you need of an introduction to Vectorworks. 

6 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

hi John,

you might be having trouble selecting objects, one that is in front of the other. Vectorworks uses the stacking order to select objects. This means that the last object created is the first one selected.

try holding your finger on the B key to make all the objects see-through.

It sounds as though you need of an introduction to Vectorworks. 

Thanks Jonathan. 

Yes, you can definitely say that I'm having difficulties with selection, and I definitely don't get the purpose of pre-selection highlighting, which is why I posted the question. 

As for the introduction to Vectorworks; Megabits gave me your Vectorworks Foundation 2018 course, but to be honest ... how can I phrase this politely, the course isn't gelling with me, possibly because I don't fall within your target audience.  Over the next couple of days, I'll see if I can come up something meaningful to better describe why the course isn't gelling with me, but I'll get in touch privately once I've got my thoughts in order ... 😎

Thanks for reminding me about "B".  

Cheers

John

7 hours ago, John_in_NZ said:

If I hover the mouse over an object that I want to modify, the pre-selection highlighting highlights the object, great, wonderful ...😀

However when I click the mouse button, a completely different object is selected for editing.  Not so great, not so wonderful ... 😐

I have pre-selection highlighting on and I can't say I've ever experienced this. It doesn't sound like what you're experiencing is something that should be happening.

Any way to post a short screen recording of it happening so we can better troubleshoot?