Site Model "cliffs" contours

Damon Design

New to site modeling and have two very challenging "ski slope" lots that I may be designing houses for. I have both topographic surveys with good data, I have imported both files into VW with no issues and have (mostly) figured out the great site modeling capability of Vectorworks but one file is adding tall side fins on both sides of the model, creating tall cliffs of terrain and making it useless to use as I begin exploring a design with a massing model I have created for the house. Can somebody please help me in understanding what is going on with the data to change it so drastically?

First screen shot is overhead view of the 3D polys with height data ready to create a site model with.

2nd screen shot is the site model created with the wildly exaggerated and added geometry at the edges.

Third screen shot is an isometric view of the 3D polys showing the correct contours

Fourth screen shot is the site model with the cliffs at the edges.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 9.53.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.00.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.01.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.00.32 AM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

I think what's happening here is that Vectorworks is making a bounding box based on the data you've provided. I think you just need to edit the crop for the site model to closely match the ends of the source data contours. Just right click on the model and choose Edit Site Model Crop. Reshape the poly to match your data and then click Exit. Update the model and all should be well.

• Like 1

Wow, didn't imagine I would get such a quick answer from the VW Landmark guru herself!

So, this is new to me. I just edited the crop inward and yes that does cut off the geometry of the ends of the contours that radically angle back but how do I know exactly how much to cut off? It seems that I than have a chance to cut off the actual dimensions of the lot that I will need to work with the setbacks- the topo survey extents are exactly to the lot lines. Should I create a crop object from the edges of the 3D polys- the boundary of them- and replace/delete the crop object that was created with the site model and I guess is a bit larger than the extents of the original geometry? 

Thank you Tasmin! I have watched just about all of your tutorial movies and love all the information you provide, even if I don't quite get it right all the time!

Indeed! 

In Southern California so threats of mudslides, wildfires and earthquakes abound! I am leaving to a civil engineer the design and responsibility of a curving retaining wall giving us another 10' into the hillside behind the existing pad. I will have to be very cognizant of the drainage nonetheless with the house, hardscape and landscape.  It will be quite the challenge.

I probably will be back here for some help soon.

Cheers!

• 3 years later...

Hi Tamsin,

I have this issue, so it's great to know that's how to solve it. 

Why does it create a bounding box like that?? Very strange.

My problem with fixing is that I'm never seeing any data (contour lines) in the 'Edit Site Model Crop' window.

Could you please explain your response: "trace around them and create a new polygon. Then, edit the crop, delete the original and replace it with your new crop object."

Exactly what am I tracing where?

In the 'Edit Site Model Crop' window I can't see anything other layers or data (such as property boundaries or other polygons etc).

Would you be able to walk me through how to crop this model when I can't actually see it?

Many thanks

Shane 

3 hours ago, ActionEcologist said:

My problem with fixing is that I'm never seeing any data (contour lines) in the 'Edit Site Model Crop' window.

Is 'Show other objects while in editing modes' enabled in VW Preferences ('Display' tab)? (or as Quick Preference on Tool Bar1074385656_Screenshot2021-09-09at06_37_36.png.9c322d11216055e2e2b04d747cbdc4eb.png)

3 hours ago, ActionEcologist said:

When VW creates a site model it just joins up all the points around the perimeter taking the shortest route, so if you have points at the corners that lay further out than those on the sides you'll end up with distorted features on the edges. But as above, all you need to do is bring the crop object (polygon) inwards in these areas to lose the extraneous terrain. In the example above the survey data was limited to the property boundary so extra care was needed when cropping to ensure that none of the 'real' terrain was lost. But generally the topo survey would extend beyond the bounds of the property so you have a bit of leeway when cropping the site model to the shape you want.

Or you can add extra data to extend the site model outwards without losing anything.

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 hours ago, ActionEcologist said:

Hi Tamsin,

I have this issue, so it's great to know that's how to solve it. 

Could you please explain your response: "trace around them and create a new polygon. Then, edit the crop, delete the original and replace it with your new crop object."

Exactly what am I tracing where?

In the 'Edit Site Model Crop' window I can't see anything other layers or data (such as property boundaries or other polygons etc).

Would you be able to walk me through how to crop this model when I can't actually see it?

Many thanks

Shane 

It creates a bounding box on the extremities of the data, just like a polygon does. It has no way of knowing which points are the edge, so looks at the extremes of data to ensure nothing is missed. You than edit as you wish.

Hmm, I also can't see the data. Here's the solution: Choose Recreate from Source Data. Trace around your data to create the crop you want, cut it, and then paste it into the crop edit (deleting the original crop).

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...