Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Mirror Node Huh?

In the attached file, a rectangle is duplicated and mirrored with the "Mirror" node and the pair is then extruded.  In order to get it to work properly, it seems necessary to both select "Create a duplicate object" in the OIP and to bypass the "Mirror" node with a second wire (that goes directly from the Rectangle to the Extrude).  It seems like the "Mirror" node should simply spit out the mirrored object, and it's original if "duplicate" is selected, and pass those on to the "Extrude" node.  Right?  Or am I missing something?

Also, is there not a 3D Mirror node?

File: 1801-F03-03

03-Mirror Node Huh.vwx

• Marionette Maven

This behaves how the Mirror tool does - if you run the Mirror tool on an object with create duplicate mode, then only the new object is selected at the end. This is the same with the node - the node only outputs the handle to the newly created rectangle, that is why you still need to wire the original rectangle node to the extrude node.

You are correct that there is not currently a 3D Mirror node, This is because there is not a Vectorscript/Python function for that behavior and writing a function to do that manually would take a lot of effort.

1 hour ago, Marissa Farrell said:

You are correct that there is not currently a 3D Mirror node, This is because there is not a Vectorscript/Python function for that behavior and writing a function to do that manually would take a lot of effort.

^ this sort of makes sense and sort of doesn't. VW has the ability to mirror 3d objects so the code exists somewhere. Couldn't that code be re-used to create a Vectorscript/Python function? Perhaps they are such different animals that its not possible but I always assumed programming was modular.

Kevin

• Marionette Maven
47 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

^ this sort of makes sense and sort of doesn't. VW has the ability to mirror 3d objects so the code exists somewhere. Couldn't that code be re-used to create a Vectorscript/Python function? Perhaps they are such different animals that its not possible but I always assumed programming was modular.

Kevin

It's a little complicated for some features/functions vs. others... some things we have an agreement with the original developer that we cannot expose them within our scripting languages, other ones have dependencies that aren't quite up-to-date with new tech, and I'm sure there are some other reasons as well.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Marissa Farrell said:

This behaves how the Mirror tool does - if you run the Mirror tool on an object with create duplicate mode, then only the new object is selected at the end. This is the same with the node - the node only outputs the handle to the newly created rectangle, that is why you still need to wire the original rectangle node to the extrude node.

So... when it says "Create a duplicate object", it's really actually saying "Retain original object;" it's not referring to the mirrored object itself as a duplicate of the original object... 

Thanks Alan, this is great.  Guess I shoulda searched for "Flip" as well as "Mirror"...  

I guess the only difference between this and mirror is that you can't define the flip access.  And, oddly, unlike the Vectorworks Flip command, this flips about the origin, rather than the object's own center (which, for Marionette objects, may actually be a good thing since, at least so far, I've always wanted to mirror about the origin).

Any particular reason that in your "Mirror object (2) v2018.vwx" file you use the "Duplicate Object" node?  It seems to work just as well without it (it seems the Flip node always creates a duplicate...).

Thanks!