Overhaul Productivity: Reduce Wait Times (Project Sharing Sync, Section Viewports, Verifying File)

Amorphous - Julian

Question

On 10/15/2018 at 7:02 PM, Tolu said:

Understood. Please save the files when next it happens, and send them to me. I can look at the History to determine what happened.

Vectorworks already has this feature. An admin can release the exclusive lock that User X has on an object/layer using the "Release" command. In VW2019, it has been renamed to "Administrative Release".  Note: I suggest only using this as a last resort, however. Because doing this will prevent User X from being able to commit their work into the PF. 

@Tolu After doing an administrative release... how can user x commit once again to the PF? User x is trying to save but he gets this message: The commit operation failed because your permissions were changed or the exclusive locks on items you had checked out were released by an Administrator.

I guess this is because a Administrative Release has been done. But I though the Administrative Release was in a way temporal... not permanent. What can I do so that user x once again can commit to the PF?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Admin Release is not a temporary change.

The alert following an admin release warns you that the user would lose their work if they have uncommitted changes. This is one of the reasons why we strongly recommend have only 1 (max 2) admin in a Project.

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 12.14.27 PM.png

Has someone else modified the objects that you "Admin Released"? If so, you would have to decide how you will merge the changes (someone might have to redo their work). If no one has modified the objects, the user can have to get a new WF, and then paste the objects from the old WF into the new WF. Note with copy and paste, any previous work done to those objects that are not in the old WF will be overwritten.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Tolu said:

Admin Release is not a temporary change.

The alert following an admin release warns you that the user would lose their work if they have uncommitted changes. This is one of the reasons why we strongly recommend have only 1 (max 2) admin in a Project.

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 12.14.27 PM.png

Has someone else modified the objects that you "Admin Released"? If so, you would have to decide how you will merge the changes (someone might have to redo their work). If no one has modified the objects, the user can have to get a new WF, and then paste the objects from the old WF into the new WF. Note with copy and paste, any previous work done to those objects that are not in the old WF will be overwritten.

Many thanks for your answer @Tolu At the end what solved my problem (as you explained...) was that I saved a copy of the working file (a) as a vwx and then opened a new working file (b) and copied all elements form the copy of the working file (a) into the new working file (b) * note that the new working file is already in vwxw format.

Luckily no work was lost!

Thanks!